Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:31:00 PM

Author Topic: How do I order chains?  (Read 6337 times)

How do I order chains?
« on: December 31, 2007, 01:57:59 AM »
Background:
I got "Mach 3" when it was Master 5, and have been in and out for a few years.
I've grown quite fond of Solidworks, and now want to cut some parts using simple cam (I don't want to buy or learn anything complicated, and all my stuff is simple 2.5D with at most a little simple pocketing)
I exported a simplified model in DXF format and loaded it into the latest "Lazycam"

Question:
How do I order the chains?
1. I found how to select them individually, but not which direction or in which order. This is important because I have to cut a particular order out of the stock
2. There is no stock definition? - would be nice to see what I'm cutting out of.
3. There is no path simulation of the cut? - that would be nice too

TIA.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:07:35 AM by Spinnetti »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: How do I order chains?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »
Hi, Spinnetti

1. How do I order the chains?, I found how to select them individually, but not which direction or in which order. This is important because I have to cut a particular order out of the stock

Click on the first chain you want it will turn gray on the left side, Click on it on the left, Hold left mouse key down and drag it on top of chain0.

Chain0 will move down one, repeat this till you have the order you want. 

2. There is no stock definition? - would be nice to see what I'm cutting out of.

Best you can do is, Draw it in your DXF, Then delete it before posting.

3. There is no path simulation of the cut? - that would be nice too

Hit the "S" key to turn on the Rat, Hit the "S" key again to turn it off.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:01:52 AM »
Chip - I have been using Mach for over a year and was never aware of the "RAT," function. ???  Amazing!!!  Although I really like Mach and have been able to generate some really great (imho) parts, the documentation is - at times - somewhat lacking.  I know this is a symptom of the software evolving so fast, but it can be be somewhat frustrating.

Two questions - One, is the "RAT," attribute documented anywhere?  Like I said, I was not aware of it. 

Second question - Is there a way to control the speed of the "RAT"?  When I click on the "S," my "RAT," runs so fast it is either going to kill itself or burn up the screen. ;)

In spite of occasional glitches, I want to thank everyone involved with the development of Mach and members of this forum for their help.  It has been quite a journey!

Bob @ BobsShosp - going back to watching the "RAT" and generating products looking for a purpose!

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »
Hi, Bob

Well I call it a "RAT", It was bigger some time back, Just missing the ear's & nose and waggly tail, As far as I now there is no adjustment for speed.

As far as Documentation theres no real doc's yet, LC has been changing to fast, Just post's hear and at Yahoo group.

All these programs have led to affordable cnc control and with so many people sharing there talents, It's great

Learning More Every Day, Chip

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:14:25 PM »
well ya got me curious now, lol! My S key does nothing for me when pressed  ??? Are there any other little tips/tricks like this?

Thanks!
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:52:41 PM »
Hi, Dave

Just the S key, It's been there for a-while 6-12 months or so, I now it's working in LC 3.00, LC 3.00.1

Hears a screen shot of the beast.!!, Have no idea why it's not working for you.

Thanks, Chip

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:25:38 PM »
Thanks for the info, Chip- It works now but for some reason the job I was working on at the time, it wasn't ...go figure lol!

As for what the object is, it's actually a round "cutter" looking object.

Interesting how it depends on different files on how fast it "travels" around the workpiece.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the info. I guess my terminology wasn't clear enough.

1. My entire part is treated as one chain, but I need to order the entities. This is easier to understand if you consider I want to cut this out of stock just bigger than the part, and in one pass without re-clamping.
To do this, I need to order the chains different than the default, and I don't see a way to do this.

2. The tool offset doesn't work in the simulation "rat", using either inside or outside compensation

Here's a pic of my part.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »
Hi, Spinnetti

I think you need LC Pro License  for that Feature. :(

If you post the DXF and order info I'll see if I can move them around.

Lcam file would probability be better, Then you should be able to enter your feed's, speed's and such after I post it back.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »
Chip,

Thanks for the info.
I'm not opposed to paying for it, but I want to ensure its going to work first. (e.g. the entities order, the tool offset not working etc.)

how do you create a Lcam file?

thanks..