Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:57:51 AM

Author Topic: MachCloud point viewer program  (Read 81083 times)

Offline Don C

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Re: MachCloud point viewer program
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 08:58:01 AM »
 When I generate a point cloud it has a ( , ) between the code and the one with the hand doesn't?
  Don

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »
Hi Don:

Industry standard is just to have a space, MachCloud will read either one, th enext plugin will give a choice,
but mine only puts out spaces right now, yours puts out commas..

Art

Offline Don C

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 11:17:50 AM »
Thanks
  Don :)
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:20 PM »
Art,
I don't know if this helps the development of your meshing software, but long time ago I found this interesting link regarding a meshing freware made here in Italy : http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/   and this is the university site http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/joomla/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

hope it helps
rgds
giorgio
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 06:48:59 PM »
Giorgio,
That's an interesting site.  Looking at the photo examples is just scratching the surface, but it did give me some insight into the problems Art is facing.   I need to get back and try another scan soon. 
Dave
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 12:27:07 AM »
OK, so scans are starting to come together and I'm getting some pretty good results scanning only in the Y axis.  Now I'm ready to expand my horizons and try some scans using the X axis. 

I already asked Art from some pointers on how to do this on another thread but thought I would continue the conversation here as it's a better place.  I hope you are watching this thread too ART!

After I scan using both Y & X axis I try to view the cloud in Mach Cloud.  When I open up the .txt file Mach Cloud displays a message stating 'Use the Left Right arrows to register, then press Enter to continue.  Then you must click the OK button.  After clicking OK, the first cloud set appears- I press the left/right arrow keys but nothing seems to happen.  I'm not sure if this is a problem with my Computer/Video card or if I am runing the wrong version of Mach Cloud or if I am just doing something wrong.

I usually press the right arrow button about 5 or 6 times then press the enter key.  Then the 2nd scan set appears.  Then the register message again.  I repeat my key tapping routine and the process repeats until all the scan sets appear.

It is INDEED what I scanned over the length of the X axis but the sets overlap each other.  I have this feeling that they are overlapping because I didn't align them correctly.  But, considering that I couldn't see what I was aligning I feel like a blind man who just won the price at the carnival shooting gallery  :D

I also tried to manaully edit the point cloud .txt file and just remove the word 'stripe' whenever it appeared.  I know this is the wrong thing to do but the I wanted to see what results it would yield.  It did seem to remove the overlapping in the X but it added overlapping in the Y.

Maybe it's still too early in the development process of MachCloud to be using this feature but I again feel I am so close I can taste it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Regards,
Sid

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 08:56:01 AM »
Sid:

Yup, just too early for that feature. On mine I can see the stripes move as I use the arrow keys. This is to register the points to correct any inaccuracies in the
mesurement of pixel size. Its not machcloud thats broke in that sense, its the aquisition plugin, I need to make it much more accurate in terms of field size, yours must
be calibrating more off than mine, usually , 2 or 3 arrows make mine match up. Overlapping is normal, this is whats supposed to make the sides of items visable, but the accuracy isnt yet
high enough to take advantage..

Art
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »
Aha-  I feel like Chuck Yeager at 3 MPH below the threshold of the sound barrier- SOOOO Close.  Havin' fun now though.

I know that you have to design things 'for the masses' so to speak.  I imagine most dudes want to be able to scan a pimple on a fly's a$$ but for what I'm doing the accuracy has been more than sufficient.  I'm tryin to scan relatively simple smooth pieces but, they are long 6'.  Aside from the striping/alignment issue I'm at the point where I could actually start to earn some money using this Plugin.   ;D

I understand that it's hard to make a plugin that is all things for all peeps- everyone has their own specific goals.  Is that why you guys released the SDK?

Thanks,
Sid

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »
Sid:

Yup, thats the idea. It allows a person to do modifcations to a plugin as they wish. or to write their own. Unfortunatley , in the case of the video prober, I cant release the source, it uses a licensed video input ocx..

Art
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 05:12:11 PM »
Ah yes,  the finest jewels are always locked up tight in a glass case where they can only be fawned and drooled over.  Ok, I guess I'll just have to admire them from a distance  ;)

Thanks,
Sid