Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:38:06 PM

Author Topic: Driver Installation question  (Read 31725 times)

Re: Driver Installation question
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »
Graham,
Thanks, that fixed it. Now, I'm off to figure out a mount for my webcam and laser.

Also, I realize that my camera appears to be B/W. I wonder if that will be an issue.
Dave

Hello graham,

All other things being equal, B/W is better than color. Usually B/W cameras have better characteristics like sensitivity, noise, contrast etc. There is no useful color info to be had with laser triangulation. The laser is about as monochrome as light gets and all other sources of light should not be seen by the camera.

More on how to eliminate lighted background later.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 01:07:46 AM »
Tonight I hooked up the laser the camera and I:

1st, I calibrate and I get a Scan Angle.  (mixed results and never got the correct angle and correct z distance at the same time)

2nd, I change the feed rate to 5

3rd, I change the StepOverY to .01 

4th, I changed the ScanY to 3 (because my object is 2 inches wide)

5th, I press Scan  (The table moves 3 inches at 5 in/min then returns). 

6th, I run MachCloud and view the results.   My results actually look like my object except the thickness is zero.   My cloud is laying on the zero surface. 

I'll try to get an image in just a minute.

I've got problems viewing the video on screen both left and right hand monitors.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing in the right monitor.   What ever I'm seeing, it doesn't look correct.   

There is a slider between the monitor screens.  What does this do.  When I raise it, I seem to get some speckles on the right screen. 

The format and source buttons are not reliable.   I crash about half time when I touch these buttons.   

Those are some of my results. 

Over all,  success, I'm making progress. 
Dave
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 01:26:49 AM »
On the right monitor screen, I have been able to improve it some.  But I get a double line.  One red and a parallel white line.   I doubt if this is good. 
First scanning results
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 01:48:41 AM »
Here's a picture of a knob.  The txt file is also included.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 09:05:28 AM »
Dave:

The white line in raw data, the red is processed data.. just debugginmg stuff for me thats all, quite normal..
 There will be an update to make it all make more sense as soon as I finish a bit more on machcloud..
The knob doesnt look too bad. When machcloud is done itll clean it up alot..

Art
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »
Art,
If you also open up the "point knob.txt" file, you will see that all z values are about 2.5xx inches in elevation.   I have another file that all z values are exactly at 3.500 inches.   

In other words, the output is roughly equivalent to a xerox copy.   :)    I'm almost there.  Just one more dimension. 

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Don C

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »
 I have the laser and camera mounted. I set the x to 1 & y to.01 stepovers.  I did the calibration and set the speed to 5. it has a good solid line red and white which changes as it moves. How do I get it to produce a file?
 Don

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 10:53:07 PM »
Don:
 If the laser line is in the X direction, then leave X at 0, set Y to the range of the scan.. 4 or 5 inches, and just hit scan..

The pointcloud will show up in the mach3 folder..

Art

(I recommend only scanning in the Y direction right now, unless the laser from right to left is in the Y direction.. )

Offline Don C

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 08:51:36 AM »
Art, If I leave the x at 0 it comes up with set less than 0.
 Thanks
   Don

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 09:03:46 AM »
Don:

Leave the XStep at 1, just set the X scan at 0..

Art