Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:33:30 AM

Author Topic: M4 update to 5000 version, result: system failures  (Read 1621 times)

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
M4 update to 5000 version, result: system failures
« on: January 07, 2023, 03:15:11 AM »
i have an EMCO mill converted to mach3 and that runs for a few years now. i use CSLABS CSMIO/IP-S six axis and pokeys for the pendant. the pc is an intel nuc with W10/8GB internal RAM. i converted it to M4 (previous version 46..) all went wel, i made the software for the toolchanger, perfect. (https://youtu.be/a72-Q8TJUow) i did an upgrade to the .5000 version. now CSLABS comes with PID fault: error 1092
i reinstalled M4, made a new clean profile and entered all the setting.. nothing works.
i hope to get some ideas...

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: M4 update to 5000 version, result: system failures
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 12:14:13 PM »
Might be too late, but when you upgrade Mach4, rename the Mach4Hobby folder to something like Mach4Hobby_4612, then install the new version. It'll make a new Mach4Hobby folder and install. Open both those folders in File Explorer and copy over your stuff, licenses, screens, profiles, macros, modules, and it should be good. AND......with a simple folder rename, you can go back to a running version if something like this happens!! Personally, I would never install Mach4 over a previous install, but, hey, that might just be me.

I believe there is also a way to load saved profiles that Mach4 makes, but don't recall offhand how to do that. Someone will chime in here, maybe.
--
Tom

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »
hi, thank you for you're reply,
i wish i had done that.... i switched back to Mach3 and all works fine. not sure if i want to go to Mach4 again....  >:(

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 12:53:03 PM »
One thing I'll say is Mach4 runs your machine WAY better than Mach3. Perhaps you could try again, you can run Mach3 and Mach4 alternately, so you'd have a fallback position!! Then if you use my method upgrading Mach4, renaming folders, then you'd always be able to get back to the last working environment.

Might be worth a try!
--
Tom
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 02:21:29 PM »
Hi,
when you create code for things like a toolchanger it goes into the screen script. Most people start with wx4.set or wx6.set as a basis and work from there.
What people mostly do not do is uniquely  rename the modified screen set script, and as a consequence when they update to the latest build of Mach their
wx4 or wx6 gets overwritten with the new incoming and all that work is lost.

Per Thosj's suggestion go back to a backup of your screen set prior to the 5000 update. Do yourself a favour and give it a unique name, something like MYwx4.set or
similar. Then when you update in a few months time it will survive without being overwritten.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 02:30:21 PM »
thanks for all the replies. i removed the software (mach4 and CSLabs), i cleaned the registry and reinstalled the 46xx version. i am up and running again with this version. for installing a new version i will take you're advice to rename my current directory..
i will post results from the testing which seems strange to me or which do not work as in the 46xx version.
thanks all!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 03:10:14 PM »
Hi,

for installing a new version i will take you're advice to rename my current directory..

You can change the directory, and I note that many people do rename the entire Mach4 directory so they can revert to it should they have to....
but I've never bothered. What I do instead is rename the screen set I am using and that means that that particular screenset will survive an update.

In the attached pic I have two individually named screen sets , Mywx4.set and Mywx6.set. They started out as just plain copies of the Mach provided wx4.set and wx6.set.
They have been modified by me to suit my machine....and so I don't want to lose them or have them overwritten when I update.

Craig

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 12:07:50 PM »
hi Graig,
does the screenset contain all the configuration information like Input/Outputs, motortuning and so?
i would think this info is stored in the .ini file
regards, TanTan
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 01:14:29 PM »
Hi,
yes all that info is in the .ini file. Its the screen set that we are talking about here which includes all the extra little bits of code you havewritten.

Craig

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 02:53:08 PM »
Right, thanks!