Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:03:10 AM

Author Topic: computer shuts down when I try to load Mach 3  (Read 4175 times)

Re: computer shuts down when I try to load Mach 3
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 11:58:08 PM »
The file that you downloaded from the Machsupport site is Mach3Version3.043.062.exe or maybe it just says Mach3Version3.043.exe.  That single file is the file you want to copy to the USB drive that has Internet access.  Then move the USB drive to the other computer and copy it to the 'Downloads' folder.  Once this file has been copied to the downloads folder of the other computer, double-click it to "install" it on this computer.  It will normally install and create the C:\Mach3 folder with files and sub-folders within.  The C:\Mach3 folder contains the program file and config files to run and control the CNC machine once all the program settings are defined for your CNC controller, stepper motors and router.

airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2022, 10:43:05 AM »
OK, right now I have the Mach3 program on my win 10 computer. There are the two Mach3 buttons on my desktop one Mach3 loader and one that says Plasma. Push either one and the  program opens, I checked the version with the About tab on the top line and it does verify that it is the .062 version.

I then put it onto my 8 gig Usb stick along with the set files, XML files and the license file. I plugged it into the control computer and that is where I'm stuck.
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2022, 12:07:13 PM »
I think where some of my problem is that when I plug the USB stick in my control computer A different box comes up from the one that comes up on the win 10 machine. On the win 10 machine a box comes up manage   usb drive k. that box has all the buttons to move to/copy to/copy/paste along with the files that are on the drive.

When I plug it into the control computer a smaller box comes up with just what is on the drive with no way to copy or paste. I can highlight the file and right click it and a box comes up with different thing to do but if I click copy it doesn't ask where or what I want to copy it to. If any of that makes sense I'll be surprised. ;)

Also the program I downloaded is the first one  on the list......Mach3 ver .062
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:10:47 PM by olddude »
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2022, 02:39:33 PM »
What operating system is your control computer running?  XP, Windows 7, Windows 8?  Can you provide screenshots of the dialog windows you get?

First, I would focus on getting the Mach3 installation .exe file onto your control computer.  I suggest creating a folder on the control computer in your My Documents folder, name the folder "Mach3-Setup" then copy/paste the Mach3 V3.043.exe file there.  This .exe is only used to install Mach3 and in doing so will create the default application folder named at C:\Mach3 .  Run the .exe setup file.

How about we then focus on moving the Windows 10 Mach3 license and settings files over to the control computer afterwards?

airnocker

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2022, 03:20:59 PM »
The control computer is running Win 7 and trust me that's what I have been trying to do for the past 4 days. I've been thinking that I'll just leave the .066 version on there and forgetting about it.

Was I supposed to put the whole Mach3 folder on the disk or just the installation .exe file? I have got the mach3 folder in the download folder but when I click it all it does is open the folder up.
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2022, 04:21:31 PM »
"Was I supposed to put the whole Mach3 folder on the disk or just the installation .exe file?"
You just need the Mach3 installation .exe file which you downloaded from here:  https://www.machsupport.com/downloads-updates/mach3-downloads/
The resulting downloaded filename will be "Mach3Version3.043.exe".  Copy this to a USB memory stick.

My CNC control computer is also running Win7 (Pro) and I am also converting from 3.043.066 to 3.043.062, same as you.  Let me see if I can provide you a step-by-step procedure for doing so.  Give me today to do that.

In the meantime, all you need from your Win10 machine that has Internet connection is to download installation file I just mentioned to a USB memory stick.  Everything else you need (the Mach3 License file and the .XML Config file for doing this "roll-back" is already on the Win7 PC.

Sound like a plan?
airnocker

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2022, 04:31:01 PM »
Yes it does.......One question though, where do you find this  Mach3 installation .exe file if it's not the first download on the page.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2022, 04:41:57 PM »
Do you need a pair of glases?

It is the first squarish red button in which is written DOWNLOAD MACH3
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2022, 05:02:33 PM »
 :)  :)  :) I probably need a little tune up but I can see a little. I asked that because that is what I put on my win 10 machine then put it on a usb stick and from what I see the program is on the control computer but when I click it all it does is open the mach3 folder and nothing else happens. I know it's something I'm not doing right so I'll wait for you to get back. Thanks.....
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2022, 08:48:28 PM »
:)  :)  :) I probably need a little tune up but I can see a little. I asked that because that is what I put on my win 10 machine then put it on a usb stick and from what I see the program is on the control computer but when I click it all it does is open the mach3 folder and nothing else happens. I know it's something I'm not doing right so I'll wait for you to get back. Thanks.....

Actually, there is nothing wrong with simply installing the .062 version of Mach3 and let it install over the existing .066 version already there.
That said, however, it is always an excellent idea to make a backup copy of the C:\Mach3 folder by simply navigating to the root of the C: drive, right clicking on the Mach3 folder, click "Copy", then navigate to your My Documents folder and click "Paste".  Then if anything goes wrong with the "revert to .062 version installation" you have copies of the critical config files that Za Sto refers to.

You don't mention what kind of CNC machine your Win7 control PC is controlling.  Is it a plasma cutting CNC?

With my fully functional Mach3 app (version 3.043.066) on my Win7 Pro PC:
1. I will make a copy of the C:\Mach3 folder and paste it in My Documents folder, then I will rename the Mach3 folder I just copied into the My Documents folder to "Mach3BU" to denote it as a BackUp copy.  Once the Mach3Version3.043.exe installation has completed successfully and all is working fine I will delete this backup copy.
2. With my USB thumb drive that has the Mach3Version3.043.exe installation file saved on it
3. And my Win7 PC booted
4. I will insert the USB thumb drive into an empty USB port and use File Manager to simply copy this .exe file to my Win7's Downloads folder (just because it is a handy place)
6. Then I will use File Manager to open the Download folder (if it is not already open) and double-click on the Mach3Version3.043.exe file to launch the installation.
7. Follow the installation prompts that follow:
   a. Be sure to first close all running programs if any are running
   b. click "I agree to the terms of the license...etc."
   c. click OK to accept C:\Mach3 as the default Mach3 application folder
   d. click Next for the Default Packages (all are checked except Lazy Cam, if you use it, check it as well)
   e. select the Profile for the type of CNC machine you use (Mill, Lathe, Plasma) then click Next
   f. name your machine's profile name then click Next, click Next again on the Select Profile screen
   g. from the Ready to Install screen click Next (or OK, I forget which)
   h. Installing Parallel Port Driver, click Next  (Note: If you use the Mach3 USB or Ethernet controller plugin see those instructions)
   i. Installation Successful screen, click Finish

You will be returned to the Windows 7 Desktop with the new Mach3 shortcut icon with the name you specified in step f.

This concludes the installation that should change the Mach3 version from 3.043.066 to 3.043.062.

When you launch Mach3 use the shortcut icon that you always used before, it may you to accept liability for the use of Mach3, check "Please do not ask again, I will always agree", then click "I agree to the terms of this agreement" button.  Mach3 will then open.

Done.

I doubled clicked my old Mach3 shortcut icons and everything worked as it should. 

With Mach3 open and running, I click "HELP" > "About Mach3" and I see I'm now running 3.043.062.

Check out the operation of your machine.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:56:36 PM by airnocker »
airnocker