Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:34:05 PM

Author Topic: computer shuts down when I try to load Mach 3  (Read 4263 times)

computer shuts down when I try to load Mach 3
« on: January 01, 2022, 04:02:09 PM »
Everything was ok until I carried my control computer up to the house so I could download some training videos. I don't have internet in my shop. I had problems with getting the computer to pick up my wireless adapter. I went to the DLink support site and found the drivers and downloaded them and it still would not work. I then hard wired the computer to the cable router by eithernet cable and that worked. AS soon as I got a connection the computer started to go through the update thing. It downloaded about 6 security fixes and a couple more that I don't know what they are. I have a feeling these updates may be the problem because Mach 3 always worked before this happened. What it does is when I click on the Mach 3 icon a box pops up asking if I want Mach 3 to make changes to this computer when I click the yes box another box pops up asking if I want plasma or CNC plasma I click CNC plasma and the mach 3 logo pops up for a second or two then the machine reboots.

What have I done to my poor system?
Re: computer shuts down when I try to load Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 12:07:28 PM »
I think I found my problem. Somehow automatic updates got turned back on and once I finally got it connected it installed all these latest security updates and one or two of them crashed the system when Mach 3 was loaded. I won't really know for sure if everything is ok until I can get it back into the shop and hooked back up to the table control box but at least I can load Mach 3 now without it shutting the computer down.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 02:45:08 PM »
So, the moral of your story:
Do not take working machine controller out of the workshop and don't connect it to thr internet.
Local network is OK (for transfering files - GCode, from home to garage) :)
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 11:47:29 AM »
So, the moral of your story:
Do not take working machine controller out of the workshop and don't connect it to thr internet.
Local network is OK (for transfering files - GCode, from home to garage) :)
After many hours of searching I finally caught on to the no hookie to the internet. :)

Sadly I don't know if it really works or not. I bought this table almost 2 years ago and never got a chance to use it. The person I bought it from kept the plasma cutter and it was many months before I could scrape up the money for a new Hypertherm P85, then it took 8 months for the machine to come in. I was told there were a few updates for my programs that are on my computer. I never got the chance to even look for them because of the windows updates that loaded themselves and crashed my machine. I thought that automatic updates were shut off but for some reason they got turned back on.

Maybe you can tell me; my Mach 3 program is Version R3.043.006 is that up to date? I don't use it for anything but this plasma table.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 05:47:18 AM »
You should be using R3.043.062 version (066 is much buggier an not oblainable on machsupport site)
I use Mach 3 on Windows XP for many years, and not connected ti Inernet, just to local LAN.
Never had any problems.

For CAD/CAM I run Win7 in virtual box (my basic OS is Linux).
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »
Thanks  ZASto.....You will have to be patient with me because I have very little experience with this whole new world of CNC. When looking over the net I see hundreds of web sites offering downloads for Mach 3. inexperienced yes but I didn't fall off the turnip truck this morning either.

What you suggest is to roll back the version I have to R3.043.062. If that is correct, then just how do I go about that? Where do I go to get this version and what are the steps needed to be sure I end up where I need to be and not worst off than I am now.

The guy that had this table used it for little less than a year then decided he didn't have the time to learn it. He had a guy that was working for him that knew enough to get the table up and running and made a few parts but quit shortly after that for greener pastures. At the time I was thinking about buying one of those Plasma Cam machines and I happened by his shop one day and the next thing I knew I went from a small 4x4 table to this big 5x10 for less than I could have bought the Plasma Cam.

My youngest son is really good with computers and one heck of a welder. It was my hopes that he would help me get this thing up and running. Well that didn't work out so I'm on my own. I have plenty of time to spend on getting this up and running but what I don't want is to cause myself any more wasted time like I have gone through this past three weeks. My goal is to get the computer working like it should be so when I take it back to the shop I can go to work.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 11:45:49 AM »
The only download site is this one that hosts this forum :)

https://www.machsupport.com/downloads-updates/mach3-downloads/

From your current installation, from c:\mach3 folder copy all .xml files to the USB stick, as well as all *.set files.
Then copy c:\mach3\brains folder to the stick if you have some brains used in your system.
Next, copy c:\mach3\bitmaps folder to the stick if you use some screenset different from derfault one.
And do not forget to copy c:\mach3\mach1lic.dat file to the stick, that is your license file.

Reinstall official version of Mach3 and copy back the files from the stick to the appropriate folders.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 01:25:54 PM »
Ok, let me be sure I have got this right.

I found 3) XML files in the Mach3 folder. They were plasma, plasmaCNC, Screen 4

3) set files, Plasma.set, 1024.set, 1024.l.set
Does that sound right to you? The rest of them I found ok.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 04:05:42 PM »
Looks right to me.
So you use 1024.set which is "default one", but I guess that is bit modified.
.lset is for lathe :)

Do not forget the license file! Mach1Lic.dat
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 12:07:22 AM »
Thanks, I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow sometime and let you know how it works out.