Hello Guest it is April 30, 2024, 05:37:32 AM

Author Topic: Pierce Height in Mach4  (Read 4157 times)

Pierce Height in Mach4
« on: June 07, 2021, 05:16:06 PM »
My pierce height in Mach4 is not right and don't know where to go to fix it. Loaded code from Sheetcam into Mach4 then starting to cycle start on a part. It will start the probe down to the metal on my table, it touches and then dose not go up to my 0.150 pierce height, it is at 0.00 on the metal. I'm doing this without my Hypertherm on just going through the g-codes before start. My g-code shows' X0.15 then M63P3 to fire torch, but stopping at 0.00 on the metal. I have gone through Sheetcam and Mach4 to make sure everything is set to the 0.15 pierce and 0.060 for cut. I am sure that I am missing something and I don't know where. Please Help
Re: Pierce Height in Mach4
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 06:59:14 PM »
Could I please ask for a start what motion controller you are using? I use the ESS and the TMC3in1 height control and have got that to work wonderfully.

This could be a lot of things but I will give you a few things to check.

When you probe your work piece can you see your probe activate? does the probe signal show as active on the diagnostic page? Could be that the probe is not contacting before the commanded probe travel has completed and it is just hanging waiting. Do you get any error messages? What does your history say - that might give you a clue.

If you are using an ESS make sure you have the latest software for it - there was a time a few versions ago where it would hang on any G04 pause commands but that has been fixed with the latest versions of Mach4 and the ESS software.

Maybe you could post your G Code for a simple job so we could look for any errors in that.

You will get it working - mine works perfectly and I am very happy with it.

Steve 
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 03:37:51 PM »
Thank You Wallerawang for answering me back. Answers to your questions are, Yes I can see the probe activated on my Mach4 page. I'm using Build260 and it has a probe light on the lower right hand corner that comes on when probing. I have a c-25BOB with ESS motion control board and a PriceCNC AVHC10 height controller. I'm also using a CNC4PC PTS-1 touch sensor that I can see the touch sensor light up when touching metal on my table. That is when it is suppose to go up to my pierce height but just stops at 0.00. My history ESS: successful probe0 strike probing finished, probe signal says0. When you say if I'm using the latest software for my ESS, I don't know what that means. I did pick Build260 for Mach4 because CNC4PC told me to use with the height controller and the latest while setting up my ESS, is that what you mean about software?  This is a home built table that I did and wishing I had some one close to me to work out all the bugs that I have but just can't. I have been working out the bugs one at a time and getting closer to start burning. I want to get to know everything about all the programs and how they work before burning metal. I'm hoping that my g-codes show up, I think I did that right?

While working on your answers this morning I could not get my probe to work history show's that can't transition from probing to running. Had to restart Mach4 a couple of times to get it to work. What could that be? Hope you can help, Thank You.

Steve
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 03:42:32 PM »
Well I guess that I don't know how to upload my g-code, sorry I will try later.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 03:45:43 PM »
Hi Firstly update Mach4 Hobby to version 4.2.0.4612 and ESS plugin to version 275 - I think this will make a big difference as it will fix the hang on G04 commands (Pause commands)
Steve
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 03:51:16 PM »
Thanks Wallerawang, I will try that.

Steve
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 02:43:01 PM »
I have it changed to 4.2.0.4612 and ESS to version 275. This is the problem I have now, no probing led light on, or when it touches it will not stops, continue down to torch breakaway. This is why I had build 260 in there because CNC4PC said that is the only their torch height control will work. At the time the THC was defected and didn't work. I checked and double checked all of my inputs and outputs were checked off and they are. I installed that one build hoping that would work with my THC now that I have my THC that was working. When put into cycle I had no enable LED on my THC or on my diagnostic page any probe LED on. When it contacted the plate on my table it didn't stop. What can I try now.

Steve
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 05:10:26 PM »
Well that is going to be a problem - my pausing issues after probing went away after updating to the later versions of Mach 4 and the ESS plugin but I can see that is causing you another problem.

I really think you need to stay on the later versions of the software to get rid of your problem with the non stop pausing - I had to with mine. We can work through the other issues so you can.

Could you please draw a simple square and output the G Code for that and post the G Code here and I might be able to see if there is anything odd in that. You will have to save it as a text file and give it a unique name so it will save to here. (This is one thing to try and maybe I'll see something odd.)

With what I know of the Price THC it should work with any of the ESS plugins as it outputs up and down controls externally from it's control box and commands Mach to move by itself - (the Price control box commands the up and down moves).

How does your probe signal work? Do you use a limit type switch (floating head) or an ohmic detector - the probing is independent from the type of THC you use and we should be able to see why that isn't working. When you are on the diagnostic page can you simulate a probe strike by either tripping the probe switch manually if using a switch or by earthing out your torch head if you are using an ohmic system. Once we get a reliable probe detection we can move on from there. Can you check that the probe input is correct in your ESS set up and you can get the probe signal to light up on the diagnostic page when you simulate a probe strike. Check the wiring, the probe input is correct, the probe indicator light comes on when you simulate a probe strike. If that works as it should we should be able to move onto something else.

Do you use Mach 4's built in plasma screen? I need to know if we are working on the same screen.

Don't worry I'm sure we can get this to work - we just need to track down where the issue is.

Steve

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 06:53:54 PM »
Thanks for your reply Wallerawang. Well I was out trying to trip my ohmic sensor and just can't get it to trip. I have 3 LED lights on my sensor- power, enable and touch. All my hookup is the same as before changing the build of Mach4. Now sending it to cycle start the enable light will not come on so it will not show the probe being tripped. It also dose not show on my diagnostic page. Let me try to work on it some more in the morning and get back to you. Thanks again for the response, I will get to you.

Steve
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 05:12:55 PM »
Wallerawang I did make a 6X6 plate to a g-code and had trouble to get it to work. When cycle start at N0010 of the codes it only went to the next line N0020 and stops with no other movement. When I start it on line N0120 it will probe and touch then back up to my pierce height of 0.15. Then it would stop because I have my plasma cutter off just trying to get my THC to work. When I downloaded the latest build I couldn't get the probe or touch to work at all. So I went and changed my screen set to wxPlasma_Probe.set and got my probe and touch working. Did I just go back to the old screen set and not the new one? The screen looks totally different from the new one, the old one looks like the one that it was on before the download. With the new screen I couldn't get it to probe or touch, not even the diagnostic page showed any lights on when probing. I couldn't even get to simulate a strike with the new screen. Let me know if the attachment worked.

I am not using Mach4 plasma screen.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Steve