Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:52:03 AM

Author Topic: Milling machine wirth servos  (Read 42730 times)

Re: Milling machine wirth servos
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 12:10:51 PM »
don't know i will have to trace out the wiring to find out, if the drives control the motors which is my thinking then i should be able to give them a command for step and direction aren't they the same as stepper motor's is manner?

Dennis
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »
has  anyone on the forum that may have done a retrofit for a servo machine? iam sure some where
some has done this
Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 04:45:36 PM »
Dennis, the drives move the servos but the computer control sends the command to the drives to make them move to the desired position.
  Your servos may take step and direction, the drives I have on the Lathe I am retrofitting can take +-10v(analogue), step/dir or master encoder inputs. Whether your drives are capable of this I dont know, have you any idea how old they are? Even if you  cant send the drives a step and direction you can get a converter that will take the step and direction from Mach and convert it to an analogue voltage for the drives, all you have to do is identify how to wire them up :) Have a look at www.skyco.com for such a converter.

Hood
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »
Hood
the machine is a 1988 lagunmatic with a dynapath control right now i would be happy to just jog the tables so i can inspect and clean everything up the machine has just sat in a shop for about 2 years with out running there were no manuals for it, i tried to call dynapath for some info but as i said they were not to helpfull and stated it would cost about $2,500.00 just to replace one board or repair it i find that a lot of money for a few micro chip's.
  i can look at the drives to see if there is any info on them if it helps thanks for the info on the skyco i will take a look this is why i asked if how to move the servo motor's can i take the 5V or ground to step and direction to get the motor's to run.

Dennis
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 05:15:49 PM »
Hood
The skyco web site what come up i am just clicking on the link you posted.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »
The reason the link isnt working is because neither was my spelling ;)
skyko.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 05:25:15 PM »
Also for your motors, if my memory is correct they are DC servos so if you just want to move them remove the wires from the drives and connect a 12V car battery up to the motor terminals with jump leads and they will move. To reverse the direction just reverse the leads. I am presuming your motors will be at least 12V, best make sure.

Hood
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
Hood
 Thanks that's exactly what i was looking for on the schematic i think it shows a 5V DC so i will look for a Battery around here in that voltage.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 06:14:18 PM »
Dennis
 doubt if the motors will be as low as 5V but you never know, the voltage should be on the motor plate. Maybe what you are seeing is the 5V for the encoders.

Hood
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 06:15:13 PM »
Hood
The Pixe interface looks good would you need just one these or one for each axisis

Dennis