Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:58:26 PM

Author Topic: new computer, no movement  (Read 6114 times)

new computer, no movement
« on: October 06, 2007, 02:30:54 PM »
just swapped out an old computor for a not as old computer on my machine. everything is set up the same but I have no movement. whats the first thing I should check. paralel port voltage???. how do I check that? can I get a reading off of my hobbycnc board somewhere to see if the voltage is too low?
Chris

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: new computer, no movement
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 03:25:41 PM »
I presume you have checked and set the correct address of the parallel port? To check the voltage just put a voltmeter between a Direction pin and a ground on the disconnected parallel port cable and see what the voltage is, it should be 0 one way and near to 5V the other.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 04:10:04 PM »
hmm Im getting about 4.26 volts at the direction pin. but It is not droping to zero when I jog back and forth. Im not sure mach is comunicating with my printer port. I checked the port adress and it appears to be correct. so what do I do next

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »
post your xml and I will test it out on my home computer.
Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 04:21:35 PM »
Hi, Chris

On Mach startup in the Status window are you seeing Driver Successfully Initialized.

Have you run the driver test ?, It's in your C:\Mach folder.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 04:23:44 PM »
here is my xml. will run the driver test again.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »
huh? wierdest thing. I had installed an older version of mach this morning because I was having issues with they newer version. anyhow long story short. I clicked the driver test shortcut and instead of getting the driver test screen I got a window that said "Driver now installed, Please reboot your system" so I did. and we're moving again. thanks guys. :D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 04:39:45 PM »
Great news, I have been searching the room for a cable so I could test things out, couldnt find one as I have butchered them all up for the I/O cables on my servo drives. ;)

Hood
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 04:58:10 PM »
well the effort was much appreciated.  ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »
Ha ha, no problem, I am sure you would do the same for me. In fact you may be able to help me out if you have been using Turn for a while. I am in the closing stages of my Lathe retrofit and have  been setting up the tooltable today but wasnt sure about the Tip Direction entry. You got any idea or should I just resort to experimenting :) I am thinking at the moment for instance if I have a PCNLL tool in I would put the tip direction as 95degrees, but I was thinking it maybe should be 85 degrees. Any idea?

Hood