Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:02:16 PM

Author Topic: Fusion 360 simultaneous machining on the A axis  (Read 6192 times)

Fusion 360 simultaneous machining on the A axis
« on: May 14, 2020, 12:14:32 PM »
Fusion 360 just released 4th axis simultaneous machining, which is free until the end of May. I modeled the machining of a camshaft lobe where the lobe rotates on the A axis. However, the post processor file fails as "this post configuration has not been customized for 5-axis simultaneous toolpath". I'm not sure why it asks for a 5 axis tool path, but I'll try to track that down in F360. My question is whether Mach4 is capable of simultaneous A axis (a rotary table on the X axis in my case) machining?  I've attached a file showing the error output.

Joe
Re: Fusion 360 simultaneous machining on the A axis
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 01:11:55 PM »
I think I found out what needs to be changed in the Mach4 post process file. In mach4mill.cps, the function onOpen() needs to be modified. The fourth axis is currently disabled (false) and needs to be changed to (true) to activate it. I've attached a screenshot of the edits.

Also see this:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autodesk-hsm/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-make-a-3-axis-post-processor-from-the-HSM-post-processor-library-support-4-or-5-axis-motion.html

Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »
Actually, it still does not work! :-\

The error message from the post config file says "Direction is not supported for machine configuration", "Error at Line 1", where Line 1: Information: COnfiguration: Mach4Mill.

I've attached a file showing the error message. In the code I tested axis direction with a axis:[1] positive direction and a axis [-1] negative direction, but neither seems to work.

Joe

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »
Try using a Fanuc postprocessor and see if they have one of those setup for the 4th axis.  Then you may be able to adapt what they are doing for the Mach 4 post processor. 

Mach 4 is built to emulate a Fanuc 21i control, BTW. 

Steve
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »
That was a good suggestion. I tried with the Fanuc21i (G91) and it failed with the same error. Must be something I'm doing wrong in the F360 set up. I'll keep you posted.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
I have the same problem, and spent a day trying different posts, configurations, etc. and still no luck. I suspect this is not supported yet.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 02:25:28 AM »
Go and search on the fusion 360 manufacturing forum

Please read

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-post-processor-forum/how-to-set-up-a-4-5-axis-machine-configuration/td-p/6488176

This explains it in detail inc the direction along x or y and WHY
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 03:58:28 AM »
Yes, done that - doesn't work. Then the error is about direction... here's my Mach3 onOpen section:

function onOpen() {
  if (properties.useRadius) {
    maximumCircularSweep = toRad(90); // avoid potential center calculation errors for CNC
  }

if (properties.fourthAxisAround != "none") {
    var aAxis = createAxis({coordinate:0, table:true, axis:[(properties.fourthAxisAround == "x") ? -1 : 0, (properties.fourthAxisAround == "y") ? -1 : 0, 0], cyclic:true, preference:0});
    machineConfiguration = new MachineConfiguration(aAxis);

setMachineConfiguration(machineConfiguration);
    optimizeMachineAngles2(1); // map tip mode
  }

I also started to look at Youtube videos to learn Javascript so I could program my own, so yes, I did substitute the direct codes, rather than relying on the values in the variables. Same issue. If anyone actually has this working using Mach3 post using the multi axis (not wrap) option, be good to hear!

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 09:29:37 AM »
don't shoot the messenger but

here is my mach4 fusion post that works with A along X. I have cut helixes ect with is post but make sure you have Z at the centre of rotation

yes I know its a mach4 PP but they are both based on FANUC same branch

only caveat it outputs a .nc file not tap but mach3 can still read it

in mdi try
G1 G20 x50 a90 f50
that should give you a combined x and a just set z to a safe number
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »
Thanks - I will take a look! :D I did try other PPs, and produced some .nc files, which were also errors, not G-Code. I did set z axis as the rotational axis. I will post back if I can get this working.