Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:06:19 PM

Author Topic: Losing computers  (Read 1899 times)

Losing computers
« on: January 01, 2020, 08:04:01 PM »
Is it just me or do I just buy junk but computers don’t seem to last me. I have the computer mounted in the control cabinet. There is an intake and a servo amp fan. Most the time my machines sit, most the time for 3-4 month at a time. The shop is heated but not air conditioned, but it seldom gets over 85 degs here. I usually buy used high end cpu that come off lease from large companies. I am running Mach3 on Windows 7. I just lost another one. Should I be doing things differently? Maybe get a laptop and just run the Ethernet cord to the machine and bring the laptop in the house with not it use? My mill has an Ethernet smooth stepper, any problems with Windows 10? The computer in my lathe I think still works but I haven’t fired it up in 2 years so who knows. So you get an idea of the time frame between uses. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Don

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Losing computers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 01:14:58 PM »
When you say "I lost another one". WHAT failed on teh PC ? Power supply ? Capacitors on teh Motherboard ? Hard Drive?

Just a thought (;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:28:10 PM »
Mother board this time according to the computer guy. One of these days I’ll learn to save my files.
Don
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 06:36:23 AM »
Why can't you retrieve files off the hard drive? actually just pull hard drive and install it another computer, with similar setup
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:19:14 AM »
I’m getting that done. Just adds to the fees from the repair shop.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 12:31:58 PM »
I find with older PCS is to leave teh PC ON all teh time. With older PCs the power cycling tends to fail the capacitors more often than not.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
Like older audio equipment (cca 20-30 years old) , older motherboards are in need for recaping (changing electrolytic capacitors). I have an old IBM Pentium II/III motherboard still in working condition.

Are you beeing charged for copying data from old HDD?
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 05:29:00 PM »
Yes $39-$149 depending on the amount. I should be in the lower amount. I did have them put a solid state drive in the new one. Hopefully that eliminates one potential problem. 4000 lb mill but I’m sure there is still some vibration. Enclosure is filtered and I’ll probably add another fan to help with heat.
Don
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 07:40:35 PM »
Wow this is frustrating. Now my laptop is acting up. This is what I write Mach3 code on and program plcs with. Running Windows 7 pro. I ran Windows security and found a Trojan. It supposedly fixed that but now if I connect to the internet any page redirects to webhostisd.com or something like that. I don’t use a computer often as I use my iPhone for day to day stuff. I haven’t even turned it on on about 3 months. The internet at the house is iffy and generally I turn the WiFi off on my phone since cellular data is faster and I have unlimited. I’m about to the point I want to sell the cnc mill and lathe and just get manual machines again. When it rains it pours.
Don

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 01:13:26 AM »
When it rains it pours.

I know the feeling well  :'(

Tweakie.
PEACE