Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:16:06 AM

Author Topic: How to change post processor to go to Z zero only at program end.  (Read 2198 times)

In the Fusion 360 post processor is there a way to only home z and not X&Y when program is finished running.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
Re: How to change post processor to go to Z zero only at program end.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 02:39:13 AM »
Yes

Well that answered your question completely ( puts tin hat on)

Go to the fusion forum and ask how to do the mods you require it’s only java script you need to alter a couple of lines

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 06:37:11 AM »
You CAN do it with Notepad++, but Visual Studio Code works much better. There is a plugin for Visual Studio Code that makes working with Fusion posts much easier. You can run test gcode in VSC and see, in the code, where it's happening.

There's a pretty big learning curve here, but that said, what you want to do would be really simple.

Google is your friend and the more you learn the more you know!!!

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
It's actually very easy to do this.
It is at the very end of the post, if I'm thinking correctly, all you have to do is comment out the line

writeRetract(X, Y);

This should do what you want.

On my Mach4 post that I use, I use G30.  This will move X, Y, and Z to specified machine coordinates specified in the #VARS 5181 -5183.  Very handy if you want the X to move to the center of travel and the Y forward. 
I can share my post tomorrow if you would like.  It is on my work computer and not my laptop here at home.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:02:37 PM »
It's actually very easy to do this.
It is at the very end of the post, if I'm thinking correctly, all you have to do is comment out the line

writeRetract(X, Y);

This should do what you want.

On my Mach4 post that I use, I use G30.  This will move X, Y, and Z to specified machine coordinates specified in the #VARS 5181 -5183.  Very handy if you want the X to move to the center of travel and the Y forward. 
I can share my post tomorrow if you would like.  It is on my work computer and not my laptop here at home.

I was aware of this but would require check every time I post.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 11:02:34 PM »
What do you mean, check every time you post?
Chad Byrd
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:21:06 PM »
What do you mean, check every time you post?

Are you saying that code is in the post processor or in a gcode file? I guess without thinking about it, I was thinking it was at the end of the gcode file.

If so, how do you comment it out? What syntax?

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 08:15:19 AM »
It's in the post processor file which is merely a text file you can edit very easily. The post processor file then generates the gcode to run the machine. You only need to edit the post processor file, and only once. The Fusion post processor file is cleverly hidden, however! Again, Google is your friend.

"fusion 360 post processor location"

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 08:29:57 AM »
You can get to the Post in Fusion. 
Open the Post Process dialog in Manufacture, then click "Open Config" next to the Post you are using.
Also, I think the stock Mach4Mill post has "Use G30" as an option.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 08:27:34 PM »
Fusion360 mach4 mill uses G28. So this is what the setting looks like as well as at the bottom of the post processor code.
I used to have Mach3 and seem to think there is a configuration choice for how to handle a G28 so maybe there is in the mach4 configuration as well.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:30:19 PM by pete1961 »