Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:20:46 PM

Author Topic: Jerky Jog before I even Code  (Read 4257 times)

Re: Jerky Jog before I even Code
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 07:34:21 AM »
Hi,

2000pulse per rev is only correct if you have a 0.72deg stepper motor.
360deg /.72 give 500 steps per rev
4 microsteps then gives 2000 pulse per rev

Wrong again......2000 steps per rev is achieved by a 10 microstep regime on an ordinary two phase 1.8 degree/ full step
stepper. If you bother to look at and read any of the documentation I've posted you would see that.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »
joeaverage,

Thanks for all the info so far..  So let me get this straight because this is what I'm getting from what you're saying.  UCC is the cheapest, whichever I am a tightass, but I want this to be right, and not halfass it like I have a ton of things in my life and have to buy something twice.  So I get the warp9.  I'd need a ribbon to parallel port adapter to run my current breakout board.  (My experience with gecko (on a plasma table) currently was that I couldn't run my gecko with my floating z and proma 150 due to inputs, but if i had the proma SD THC, i would have been fine, so inputs were limited.)  So if i want x,y,z home switches on a router, with the capability to run a plasma on the same machine, i'm understanding I basically need 2 breakout boards, 2 ribbon adapters and the warp9 ess? 

Hi collincv,

do you have a recommendation for the best smooth stepper for the money?

I answered a similar question a few days ago.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=39731.msg266363#msg266363

The short answer is that a UC100 or a 57CNCdb25 is the cheapest at around $120. But they are limited to one 'ports
worth' of IO, enough for the simplest of machines only.
Staring around $150 through to $200 there are several controllers with at least two ports and up to five ports worth of
IO. Several of those models require the use of a breakout board such as you already have. You may want yet another if
you want to use all those spare inputs and outputs.

Currently just looking at a picture of warp9 ESS and it has 3 ribbon cables with an expansion port.  Do I need a BOB for each port to run each axis or does one port have the capibility to run 3, possibly 4 axis?

To answer specifically about the ESS it has three ports and an expansion port. To my knowledge no one can use the expansion
port yet. If you fit just one ribbon cable to attach one BOB you will end up with exactly the same situation that you have
been using for a while, ie 12 outputs and 5 inputs. If you want to add a second ribbon cable and BoB you could have
another 12 outputs and 5 inputs, or optionally, as inputs are sought after, 13 inputs and 4 outputs.

Should you decide on an Ethernet SmoothStepper you will need a separate 5V regulated power supply of at least 500mA,
you cant power the ESS form the PC.

Craig
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 08:23:31 AM »
Hi,

UCC is the cheapest, whichever I am a tightass, but I want this to be right, and not halfass it like I have a ton of things in my life and have to buy something twice

The UC**** series is good value but is also the least developed of the Mach4 plugins, no backlash comp, no lathe threading
or THC. All of these function are supported in Mach3 but not Mach4 (yet).

The ESS is somewhat more expensive but when THC is released over the coming days maybe weeks it will be the
most completely developed mid priced Mach4 controller, with the $600 Hicon Integra having had all those features
for a while.

So if i want x,y,z home switches on a router, with the capability to run a plasma on the same machine, i'm understanding I basically need 2 breakout boards, 2 ribbon adapters and the warp9 ess? 

Yes, from your description two ribbon cables and one extra BoB will be required. A C10 BoB is an economical alternative
at $23. IDC header to DB25 ribbon cables are about $5 each.

Craig
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 08:32:31 AM »
Hi,
sorry I've got a few different threads going on....you are not especially concerned about using Mach4?
In which case either the ESS OR the UC300 (or maybe the UC400) would be fine as they both are fully developed
for Mach3.

Craig
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
Craig,

Well if I build a good enough table, I plan on taking the license from my dad's machine that has mach3 purchased and possibly selling his.  Or running linux cnc.  I've dove into ubuntu a few years back and linux isn't terrible, just take some re-learning again.  From everything I've read so far, mach4 is about 8 times as much for the industrial version and there's not much difference between the mach3 and mach4.  I have no personal experience with it so take that with a grain of salt.  BUT if I ever wanted to be able to use mach4 in the future, I want to be able to do it without having to buy something else.  It's like not buying 4 wheel drive when you only need it "in case of emergencies"

Casey

Hi,
sorry I've got a few different threads going on....you are not especially concerned about using Mach4?
In which case either the ESS OR the UC300 (or maybe the UC400) would be fine as they both are fully developed
for Mach3.

Craig
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
Craig,

Also, on Warp9's website it says the ESS already has THC for plasma

Threading for lathes (single pulse per rev for RPM, or encoder A for RPM.  Index pulse required for synchronization)
M10/M11 support for lasers/ water jets
Backlash Compensation
THC for Plasma Cutting
Runs with Mach3 and Mach4

does that mean it has been released?

Casey
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
Hi,
the ESS has THC support in Mach3 and will have in Mach4 very soon now.

Craig
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 04:54:31 PM »
Hi collincv,

From everything I've read so far, mach4 is about 8 times as much for the industrial version and there's not much difference between the mach3 and mach4.

Both Mach3 and Mach4 are Gcode interpreters and as such if you present a Gcode job to a Mach3 machine and
it cuts a part in a certain way then I would expect Mach4 to do exactly the same.

What is not apparent from its outward behavior is that Mach4 is or can be very much more flexible.  It may
well be that you don't require powerful programming ability to have your machine operate properly
and in that circumstance Mach3 is entirely adequate.

There is a new feature of Mach4 that Mach3 does not have, its called Surface Map. The essential idea is that
you probe the surface of the bed of the mill an Mach records that data and thereafter corrects all moves to
accommodate the surface not being flat. There again it may not be strictly necessary for your machine but it does
serve to point out that Mach4 is progressing with new ideas and features whereas Mach3 is not.

That does not even touch on the Mach4 probing module or the Zero Brane editor/debugger......

It is true that Mach4Industrial is $1400 but Mach4Hobby that you and I use is only $200, with Mach3 still $175.
Mach4Industrial has only one feature that Mach4Hobby does not have, Macro B programming. If you don't
know what it is its because Mach3 never had it either. The real reason that Mach4Industrial is so much more
expensive is support. You can ring NFS anytime with a problem and you go to the top of the queue.

It is fairer to compare apples with apples and Mach3 should be compared to Mach4Hobby. The difference
in price is modest,$25 or 12.5%. Mach3 can be installed on any number of machines, Mach4 on up to five
machines.

Personally the modest differences in price and licensing are subsumed by Mcah4 being light years ahead of
Mach3 in terms of programming flexibility and new and upcoming features.

Craig
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »
Craig,

I see there is many advantages to mach4 over mach3.  Building my own machine I don't see the advantage yet when I have mach3, but hearing what you said makes mach4 sound very appealing.  I'm an design engineer by trade, have some of my own machines (mill, plasma, lathe (in no way shape or form do i claim to be a professional at anything lol)) but have done very little programming other than F-carve, heekscad/cam, and a few other low end/free programming software.  I know we are running off topic here, but still I have questions I feel you are knowledgeable enough to answer.  What software do you personally suggest for creating G-code?  I'm not asking for top of the line, more the most user friendly and relatively economical.  Just three axis work with the possibilities to use a 4th axis if I get that far along in this project.  We run mastercam and NX at work for programming, yet I have never touched them due to not being my job or my workstation having the licenses
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 07:35:12 AM »
Craig,

Also, you have my sold on the warp9 ESS.  That's what i'll be buying and considering I have a license of mach3 and it already has the THC built in per say, I'm not going to wait right now for the newer version to come out.

Casey