Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:15:27 AM

Author Topic: x axis direction question mach3  (Read 1411 times)

x axis direction question mach3
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:23:01 AM »
is there a way to change the x axis direction on the screen in mach 3. currently on my screen when I move the x axis in the positive direction  the cursor moves from left to right   but I would like the cursor to move from right to left in the positive direction. I have played with reversing the motors and reversing in homing/limits  and the screen allways moves from left to right? 

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
Re: x axis direction question mach3
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »
is there a way to change the x axis direction on the screen in mach 3. currently on my screen when I move the x axis in the positive direction  the cursor moves from left to right   but I would like the cursor to move from right to left in the positive direction. I have played with reversing the motors and reversing in homing/limits  and the screen allways moves from left to right? 
X axis moving in positive direction should be left to right - that is the correct convention.
Tell us why do you want to change that as changing to something wrong  is easy.
(see attached)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:41:48 AM by reuelt »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
with this machine the operators station is in the front of the table  the table is 6 feet wide and 20 feet long ( the x axis )  well the x axis is parrelel to the wall and back of the operators station is against the same wall so when he is standing at the station facing the monitor the table is to his left if he looks over his left shoulder he is looking down the 20 foot length on this machine when he moves the x axis it is moving away from him  in the positive movement I would like the screen to accurtly depict what the movement is on the screen the table is moving   right to left   so the cross hairs should move right to left  is why I am wanting to do this

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:37:01 PM »
with this machine the operators station is in the front of the table  the table is 6 feet wide and 20 feet long ( the x axis )  well the x axis is parrelel to the wall and back of the operators station is against the same wall so when he is standing at the station facing the monitor the table is to his left if he looks over his left shoulder he is looking down the 20 foot length on this machine when he moves the x axis it is moving away from him  in the positive movement I would like the screen to accurtly depict what the movement is on the screen the table is moving   right to left   so the cross hairs should move right to left  is why I am wanting to do this
In your situation,
x=0 should be far left corner  so you should simple invert the x-axis so that x++ is coming nearer.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
ok another thing about this machine   it only has one prox switch on the x axis and one for the y axis which is located at the front of the machine  the end closest to the operator after it does a ref all home it uses soft limits to know the extents of the machine   your suggestion puts the home x-0 and y-0 at the far end  the end furthest from the prox switches  it moves proper when moving down the machine it moves in a positive  ( away from the operator ) it is only depicted wrong on the screen for this particular application  I guess one answer could be to turn the operaters station around 180 degrees  then it would all be faced right  but that is not really practical either for this situation   all works    I would think there would be a simple setting in mach3 to reverse the motion on the screen only but I cant find that one 

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
your suggestion puts the home x-0 and y-0 at the far end  the end furthest from the prox switches

You can use Home Offsets in Config>Homing/Limits to move the 0,0 home position relative to the switches.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
All  CAD/CAM drawings Cartesian coordinates convention, x0 has to be at the  left corner of table. That should also be the machine coordinates. YOU should not change that.
If you reference home as you are doing, you could set X to length of table (say +240 inch) and NOT zero. So when you g0 x0, spindle head moves away to far end.
If you set that to zero, then your gcodes must have all negative values of x.

I would just move my x axis proximity switch or do what Gerry said.
Then redefine tool change location to x=240, y=0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 02:25:33 PM by reuelt »
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 02:58:45 PM »
ok I got it figured out was beating my head against the wall for nothing    as it turns out everything was right in mach 3     when a file is created in sheetcam and I locate my 0,0 corner in the lower right hand corner  the cut is in the negative not the positive

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 04:32:28 PM »
If it is me,
I would swap x and the y axis and keep x0 y0 at nearest left corner so that it is easier for others to understand when jogging with a pendant or arrow keys.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:46:47 PM by reuelt »