Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:13:49 PM

Author Topic: Auto Tool Setting with SUPER Small Bits, Help.  (Read 2051 times)

Auto Tool Setting with SUPER Small Bits, Help.
« on: November 27, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »
So I've never used a touch plate to set the Z height of tooling before, but would like to set it up in Mach 4. I'm sure there's lots of posts about this, but the search function is still not working, but my question is this I use some super small bits .0156" to be exact. I mean they are tiny. If I use the auto tool set feature in Mach 4 and it brings a .0156" bit down to a touch plate is that going to break my bit. I mean once conductivity is present how quickly does Mach 4 and my Pokeys57CNC react?

Re: Auto Tool Setting with SUPER Small Bits, Help.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Hi,
I use 0.4mm and 0.5mm (16 thou and 20 thou) endmills for making PCBs. I use a touch plate, actually the copper plated PCB
blank.  I have had success with this method, ie not breaking the endmill, with Mach3 and a parallel port and for the last two years Mach4
and an Ethernet SmoothStepper.

May I suggest setting up your touch plate but install some sacrificial bit of stiff wire or similar and experiment. Once you get it sorted and
realize just how good probing really is you will NEVER go back to doing without it!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »
Joe, AGAIN THANKS!!

Can you recommend a post or tutorial on how to set this system up with Mach 4 and my Pokeys board?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
Hi,
the only videos I can find are for Mach4 and an Ethernet SmoothStepper.....same ideas though.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
Ok i get hooking it up to pokeys, pretty easy I suspect. Take a pin on Pokeys and GND. One goes to the spindle and one goes to the plate I'm touching off of. Set up in Pokeys is simple just enable probe and fill in the fields. I've done that before.

What I can't find is where the script is or where the button is like in Mach 3 to Auto Tool Zero.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:26:38 PM »
Hi,
try the Touch button.

Craig
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 11:24:32 PM »
AHHHH, Momma always said not to touch!! Cool.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 11:27:35 PM »
Oh, is there a script I have to add? Or where do I find the built in one, cause I assume there are values to change?
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 11:53:40 PM »
Hi,
the Touch button should bring the Touch screen into view. Thereafter you select the measurement you wish to make, in your
case the Z height measurement......fill in the appropriate parameters.....and probe.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 12:11:58 AM »
Ah cool. Thanks.