Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:49:00 AM

Author Topic: No movement all 3 axix's  (Read 3484 times)

No movement all 3 axix's
« on: August 10, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
Need help – I was given a home made CNC that has not been used in a few years. The configuration is not available for Mach3. Using Gecko model 251X drivers and a 30 V power supply. When connected I get the steppers to energize but can’t get any movement on X Y or Z. I have tried changing configuration no help, the only thing I did notice if you hold the stepper shaft and try to Jog the stepper you can feel like 1 pulse but no movement. I do not have a scope to check input signals. I am at a loss as to what to do next.
Re: No movement all 3 axix's
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »
Hi,
its not clear...are you using Mach3 or Mach4?

What sort of PC are you using? What version of Windows and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Are you using a parallel port or an external motion controller?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
Mach 3

parallel port

windows XP

32 bit

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
Hi,
this board is about Mach4, you'll get more help if you post in the Mach3 General Discussion board.

If you run DriverTest.exe what results do you get, not just an 'excellent' report, the numbers please or
a screenshot.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
One pulse for each jog attempt sounds like you may have the step and directions signals interchanged with each other.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
I have 2 CNC machines my old one and the one I am trying to get to work. The one with the problem has been in storage for 2-3 years. After all the testing I have done I think the drivers are defective. This is hard for me to accept, all 3  bad. I did take the parallel cable and moved it to my CNC and it worked fine ( both CNC’s have gecko drivers 250/250X ) This is why I think the configuration is correct. Not having a scope I looked at the speed and directions pins of the Gecko drive with a VOM, I can see some change as I jog the steppers.I have been waiting for Gecko to get back to me as how to check the drivers for proper operation.
I did check the input and direction wiring

Below is the results from the driver test

Driver Test

Interrupt      00
Pulse/sec      23690
CPU Speed      2999
Apic Timing Constant   8442
Short time      41   4878
Longest         43   90 ( Numbers keep changing )   
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:43 PM »
Hi,
it sounds like the DriverTest.exe numbers are good.

You say you took the parallel cable and plugged it into your CNC. I'm guessing you mean taking the parallel port cable from the PC
running the potentially faulty setup and plugged it into the BoB of your working machine. Is this correct?

If it is it rather proves the PC and Machs parallel port driver and the parallel port itself are OK. That rather points to the BoB and/or
your drivers, the same conclusion you have reached. I agree it seems strange that all three Geckos should fail, they are pretty reliable.
I would suspect then the BoB.

Does the BoB have a charge pump or other signal to enable the whole board?
Does the BoB have any LEDs on the motor outputs that would indicate that signal are progressing to the output of the BoB?
Do you have an Estop hooked up? If you do does activating the Estop disable Mach? I use this test as a means of establishing
whether an input to the BoB is progressing through the BoB to the parallel port and then to Mach.
Do you have a motor enable signal? If you do can you use either Machs output active high/active low setting to toggle the enable output
of the BoB that you could measure with a multimeter? Note you could do the same thing by setting Machs enable output to be active and then
enable/disable Mach which should toggle the BoB output.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »
In answer to the question I just move the parallel cable from one CNC to the other.

The E-Stop does activate the software

There are no electronics on the Break out Board ( BoB ) I am posting pictures of the Bob and drivers.
This CNC worked with the wiring as you see in the pictures. The cut wires on pin 11 & 21 was for a probe we were trying when we built the CNC.

Will call Gecko tomorrow see what help they can give to test the drivers stand alone.

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:15:22 AM »
Hi,
could it be that the PC you are using is producing 3.3V signals whereas the Geckos require 5V.

Do you have a multimeter?

Craig
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
Actually 3.3 volts does meet the specifications of the G251X drivers.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com