Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:24:29 PM

Author Topic: work zero in mach 4  (Read 9926 times)

work zero in mach 4
« on: July 18, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
How do i set work 0 and how does that relate to offset settings?

Do i have to set offsets first?

Do i start the test program tap file in mach 4 from home 0?

i need some help

Ken
Re: work zero in mach 4
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:53:56 AM »
Hi Ken,
if you don't have home switches, which I guess is quite likely as you are still experimenting, then if you hit <Ref All> the machine will
reference itself to its current location, sometimes called 'Home in Place'. That will mean that the machine co-ordinates of the current location
will be 0,0,0. The axis LEDs will go green, which informs you that the machine is referenced.

Referencing means MACHINE COORDINATES. They are what Mach (3 or 4) uses as native positioning but are not usually used by us, mere humans
that we are. For us we would jog to one corner of the material and the zero each axis. Note that 'zeroing' an axis is different to 'referencing' an axis.
When we 'zero' an axis or axes we are setting WORK COORDINATES. Work coordinates are much more user friendly, its easy to visualize 2 inches
from the left corner and 2 inches up from the left corner of a piece of wood you are working on say. Work coordinates are intimately related to offsets.
The offsets are the translation from Machine Coordinates to Work Coordinates and are used by Mach but seldom by us. Further if you follow the
procedure...reference (home) the machine, jog to the start of the job and then 'zero' the machine the offsets are automatically defined and stored.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »
Hello Craig,
I want to thank you again for all your help. I am starting to see myself making progress and getting a few dumb dumb moments as well as a good laugh out loud one to, my wife thinks it's funny when i call myself names.
It's getting a bit exciting even at this beginner stage.

I have limit switches that i use as a home switch as well. Is that not a good idea?

Does that change anything in the homing and zero process?

Ken
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
Hi,

I have limit switches that i use as a home switch as well. Is that not a good idea?
My preference has always been separate home and limit switches although the vast majority of users combine them. I understand you use a
UC100 which does not have many spare inputs so you'll probably be required to combine them.

I have an ESS and so have plenty of inputs and have individually wired switches, because I can. It works extremely well with no operator
confusion.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »
Yes, you are correct i use a uc100.

I don't know what a ESS is. Something electronic control i would guess.

OK back on track. Am i understanding that for each Gcode project i set up i have to zero  the axes to the dimensions of the material or is this done in the cad/cam program when it asks for the material dimensions input when  creating the Gcode?

Ken
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »
For each project you have to set your Work Coordinates Or Work Offset.  
When you clamp your work piece in a vise or on the table, the machine (Mach) has no idea where that is; therefore you have to tell it where the Work Zero is for the Work Piece.
CAM will ask where you want the starting point; it can be in a corner, the center, or etc... wherever you decide X, Y, Z Zero will be in CAM is where you need to set X, Y, Z Zero on the machine.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »
thanks, i will try to work this info through and give you a shout.

Leaving tonight for a week away again, always something to do in summer. I will be back at it next week Saturday

Ken
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »
How do the offset settings relate to all of this and do i need to set them up???

Ken
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
Hi,

How do the offset settings relate to all of this and do i need to set them up???

No, that happens automatically.

When you turn on the machine and enable Mach hit <Ref All Home> and the  machine will reference itself by driving to your home switches
in turn and thus set the  MACHINE COORDINATE 0,0,0. Now manually jog to the corner (or maybe the center depending on how you drafted the Gcode)
of the piece of material. <Zero> each of the axes, the WORK COORDINATE 0,0,0. That will automatically update the offsets. The offsets are the numbers
that translate from the machine 0,0,0 to the work 0,0,0.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 04:21:42 PM »
ok, i think i go it. I have a problem the z axis i think. Going down from positive home zero to work , dro shows positive. If i understand right down in the work piece should be a negative movement, is this correct.

I have been dry running some gcode tap test files and  watched the dro;s and noticed this. x& y seem to be ok. I tried the pos and neg switching in the setup and 0 negative becomes positive.

OK Craig time to walk the dummy to the next step

Help

Ken