Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:24:46 AM

Author Topic: newbie needing advice  (Read 4295 times)

newbie needing advice
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:35:45 PM »
when I ref all home everything comes to the front left corner, which is how I have it set for now, however when I jog everything back, right and down my numbers are negative, shouldn't they be moving positive direction?
Thank you

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: newbie needing advice
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »
Milling machine?

Z down (into the work) is generally negative up is positive.

when you say jog back are you referring to the controlled point (tool) or the gantry/bed/table??
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 02:59:55 PM »
Thank you Dave for your response, it is a router machine. when I move the machine from its home position manually with my keyboard to the point of the material I want to cut which is toward the middle of the table my axis move to the negative numbers and I thought anything to the right, back and up should be positive. I am sorry if it is hard for me to explain or if I am not using the correct words but I am literally brand new and have never used any software or CNC before
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »
while moving the Z up is is showing positive numbers but the X and Y are showing negative numbers when moving to the left and back
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:13:59 PM by gadawgsfan »

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 03:27:25 PM »
Does it match your cut files - i.e. does the CAM software output matching files that run ok??

If so then I would not change it -  it can be changed, but, it could cause issues.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »
When I load G-code and hit cycle start it moves away from my material and wants to start cutting off the material. I was thinking that the reason for this is because my machine is moving in a negative coordinate in both the X and Y axis. This is my first time trying to cut anything with it I have tried numerous times and have to stop it because it is moving to a different location that has no material. if this answers the question you are asking me

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »
Ok,

try this, carefully - i have not done this so its up to you :)

Go to Config then Homing/Limits then check the "Reversed" options for X & Y  then save and see what effect it has.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 04:06:18 PM »
You'll also want to double check that your machine is following the "Right Hand Rule". The post I've linked to below explains is and includes a nice graphic as well.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10308.0.html

If your motors are not following the Right Hand Rule, changing the ActiveLow setting for the direction pin on each motor will reverse the direction.

Best wishes,
Bryanna
Newfangled Solutions Helpdesk: http://support.machsupport.com
YouTube Support Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MachSupportOfficial
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »
Dave, so I checked the reverse option on the them and then it changes the way they move when controlled by the keyboard, left goes right and right goes left, after reading this and looking at it I thought this would fix my problems but it started another one so I checked it back.

BryannaB, Thank you for your responding,  went to the link and that is WAY WAY over my head so I will have to continue to review and study it before I can understand what all that means, which may be part of my problem

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 12:24:05 AM »
Ok, so do what I suggested AS WELL as what Bryanna suggested - go into Ports&Pins and check the Active Low option for X&Y

I think that may solve it but note what the settings were originally so you can go back easy - it gets confusing real quick ;)

Hopefully that will reverse the direction display but not the keyboard action, maybe ;)