Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:50:43 PM

Author Topic: Notebook tab reordering - could it be any more painful?  (Read 1546 times)

Notebook tab reordering - could it be any more painful?
« on: March 17, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
If anyone has any enlightenment to share on how to reorder tabs in a notebook, please share with me.

I have tried dragging tabs in the UI tree to reorder - crashes Mach4GUI.
I have tried dragging tabs in screen layout itself - does nothing.
I have exported tabs and tried re-importing them - Mach4GUI spins for ever and eventually crashes.
I have tried cut-n-pasting (which works with other UI components) back into the notebook - does nothing.
I have tried deleting and then re-pasting back into the notebook - worst yet, deletes the tab and it's contents, but paste is disabled.

It's been three years, please give the screen editor a bit of love and attention. The development tools are the first thing integrators will look once they decide the motion engine is worth investing in. This is so frustrating.
I'm not a complete idiot...
    there are some parts missing.
Re: Notebook tab reordering - could it be any more painful?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »
Just had an idea - Turn the screen editor into a Lua tool and provide the source with Mach4. Then it can be modified, problems fixed, features added by the community.

Just an idea.

I'm not a complete idiot...
    there are some parts missing.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:21:46 AM »
I moved the tabs in the design tree.  It doesn't work perfect.  But I was able to get them in the order I liked by moving them there.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 01:39:05 AM »
Sure screeneditor has several shortcomings/issues on big edit sessions.
What really helps, is the simple format of the screen file itself.
The screen-file is a zip-archive with a screen.xml at root level.
That screen.xml is a simple text file, so you can extract it and use any text-editor or xml-editor.
If you use a simple text editor, you're responsible on your own for pattern matching. But it is not difficult at all.
I use gvim on linux systems with good result.
Tab-reordering is just a matter of moving a number of rows - not a challenge :)
If you take care for the xml-patterns, you can change anything with the text-editor, which makes big changes fast and easy.
When you're done put the xml-file back into the screen-ziparchive and start mach4 with that file.
If you did no mistake, anything works fine.

Cheers Reinhard
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 04:04:45 AM »
I also simple edit XML file in *.set archive. And all if fine. I think this feature has not demand. Main problem - in standard sets there is binding to tab number )