Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:17:46 AM

Author Topic: MACH3PLASMA LIMIT SWITCHES FOR G540/PROMA  (Read 35872 times)

Re: MACH3PLASMA LIMIT SWITCHES FOR G540/PROMA
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 06:28:02 PM »
Hi,
I just downloaded a copy of the G540 manual and it can be done very much simpler again, disregard the previous diagram....

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 01:23:40 AM »
Thank you I will order some new switches and then I will see how it goes!
I appreciate it a ton

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 03:26:34 AM »
If this is stepper powered, I would not fit limits at all, even a runaway axis on a stepper drive is unlikely to damage a machine, servos on the other hand = serious damage.

I would simply fit a good home switch and set soft limits up to work well. The first action upon start-up should be to home or reference the machine anyway IMHO.

I have fitted limits to my stepper builds but i realise now they are a waste of effort and inputs etc, they just do nothing, as long as soft limits are working.

There are those that never home their machines, maybe then a limit might help, doubtful still.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 03:35:09 AM »
Hi,
to be honest I go with Dave here, good home switches and proper softlimts beat limit switches hands down.

I got the impression that OP needed limit switches for the Proma device.

Craig

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 03:41:03 AM »
I had a PROMA and it knows nothing of limits, it just reads voltage, compares to a set-point and outputs up and down signals for the z axis. It also has an arc-ok output IIRC.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 03:56:14 AM »
Hi Dave,
I've never had a chance to play with a Proma but my recollection of the documentation I read about them did not mention limits.

It is for this reason that I argue that good, reliable, repeatable home switches are more important than limit switches

I have already made the same point to OP....if he prefers limits over a home switch...that's his choice.

Craig
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »
In the proma manual is says it “uses inputs of outermost connectors LIMIT OR HOME - THC relay contacts should be connected to the terminals the same way as limit switches connectors.”

What are your thought? This is out of the proma manual they sent me
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
Hi Dave,
I've never had a chance to play with a Proma but my recollection of the documentation I read about them did not mention limits.

It is for this reason that I argue that good, reliable, repeatable home switches are more important than limit switches

I have already made the same point to OP....if he prefers limits over a home switch...that's his choice.

Craig

I am open to anything any will wire it however you guys think is the best, most efficient way. I am just saying, I’ve been running my table for 5 years, no limits or anything so I’m not worried about any runaways or resetting to come back tomorrow to same part stuff. I just want to hook my PROMA up and have a working THC. Any help is greatly appreciated!
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 01:01:20 PM »
All of my parts on my table are custom parts every time so I make a new zero every time

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 01:15:43 PM »
In the proma manual is says it “uses inputs of outermost connectors LIMIT OR HOME - THC relay contacts should be connected to the terminals the same way as limit switches connectors.”

What are your thought? This is out of the proma manual they sent me

This is BAD writing on behalf or Proma - it has NOTHING to do with limits at all.

From the manual....

The relay outputs “Arc, Up, Down”, are controlling outputs via relays, and should not be utilized for anything other then it's intended use.

COM terminal is a common input terminal connected to the ARC, UP and DOWN relay contacts inside the device, according to the diagram located on the cover (above picture). Suggested route is to “GND” at driver/pc end. Do not jumper this connection to the “7-35V” negative.

ARC output (also known as “Arc Okay”) is activated when plasma ignition is detected. Route and configure for a software input. Not required to operate.

UP output is activated when the measured voltage is lower than the voltage setpoints, reduced by half the hysteresis voltage. Route and configure for a software input.

DOWN output is activated when the measured voltage is higher than the voltage setpoints, reduced by half the hysteresis voltage. Route and configure for a software input.

Note: No output relays are activated in case when only the pilot arc is detected and when the main arc is broken.

SO, you need to connect the ARC, UP, DOWN to suitable free inputs on your BOB, then connect the COM to whatever your BOB needs - +5 or 0v etc.

Next configure Mach3 inputs to recognise the input signals from the PROMA.

Now, put the PROMA into test mode - this just sends repeat UP & DOWN outputs to Mach - make sure your Z axis responds in the correct direction, if not, fix it in settings.  You may need to set temporarily in Mill options, ports and pins - allow THC moves when not in THC mode to let the z move without an Arc OK signal.

Next connect your plasma - are your using HIGH voltage inputs or LOW voltage inputs??????