Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:40:09 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 turn  (Read 3457 times)

Mach 3 turn
« on: February 04, 2018, 10:12:45 PM »
Hi
I am attempting to get two steppers to function with Mach 3 Turn.

I am using a K179 stepper driver which I already use to drive x and y with another software package - cutting clock wheels on a Seig mill. I know that the steppers are working because I have tested it with this other system.

At the moment the program is only driving one stepper and obviously I need to reconfigure but am not sure how to go about that.  I have port 1 enabled and the output shows x and y enable. Obviously I am missing something appreciate some help.

Woodie
Re: Mach 3 turn
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
Hi,
aren't the axes on a lathe X and Z?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 03:34:07 AM »
aren't the axes on a lathe X and Z?

Yup.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My delayed reply is because your responses went to trash for some reason. Only just found them.

The CNC system I am using is for cutting clock wheels on my mill which is configured x and y. I was halfway through the reconfiguration process when my old Dell decided it was all too much and refused to reboot so I remain at square one until I get that sorted.

Woodie

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:31 AM »
Huh?????
I don't think Mach3TURN can handle the Y axis. Very few lathe packages can.
You need Mach3Mill. It comes in the same package.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 02:55:25 AM »
Thanks Roger.

My son tells me he has a spare tower with a printer port so I will see if I can get Win 7 for that when I get it.

While I am waiting for that I have been fiddling with TC5520H controller. The package included a power supply, two drivers and a couple of stepper motors. It does come come with a manual but nowhere near the same level of support that is available for Mach 3. So it is suck and see what happens.

Woodie

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 03:46:50 AM »
Fair enough.

A small suggestion though: buy an external pulse engine such as the Ethernet Smooth Stepper. This will do the following for you:
Use any x86 PC with any version of Windows, 32 bit or 64 bit.
Faster pulsing possible than from a PC, which can be good for detailed wood carving
More stable operation
My own biased opinion (biased, but based on experience) is that you should NOT buy one which uses the USB instead of the ethernet. UCCNC disagree and claim theirs is fine. OK, maybe, but USB is NOT meant for controlling industrial power gear, while the ethernet is rated for it. My 2c.

Cheers
Roger

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 05:10:01 AM »
Hi,
I go with Roger, I'm less concerned about the difference between USB and Ethernet but having an external controller with a purpose built pulse engine
is a big big BIG step forward compared to a parallel port. I personally have an Ethernet SmoothStepper and the smoothness of the motion compared to the
parallel port it replaced surprised and delighted me and effectively allows my stepper to run 25% faster without losing steps or getting hot.

Additionally you can now run just about any PC you like, desktop/laptop/32bit/64bit/WindowsXP/7/8/10  I run a little dual core Atom on a miniITX board with on-chip
graphics, about the least powerful PC you could name and yet it runs Mach3 and more recently Mach4 just fine.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 05:39:49 AM »
Hi,
need to add that if you are thinking or even investigating buying an external motion controller as Roger and I recommend DON"T buy a rubbishy one...there are
plenty of junky ones and Chinese ripoffs out there....you absolutely do not want one....don't be seduced by the cheap prices.

Craig

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 06:01:51 AM »
And the Chinese ones do NOT implement all the g-code functions.

Cheers
Roger