Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:38:19 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 and Pokeys57CNC limit switches  (Read 13160 times)

Mach4 and Pokeys57CNC limit switches
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
Hello all!

I know there are pages of comments about getting the limit switches to work with Mach4 and a Pokeys57CNC - I've read them all and I still don't quite get how to make these limit switches work! I think I must be doing something very wrong. I am also very familiar with this https://www.poscope.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/Pokeys/LibrariesAndPlugins/Mach4%20and%20PoKeys57CNC%20-%20step%20by%20step%20guide.pdf document, especially page 14.

All I've done to test is to connect a normally open switch to the ground pin (pin 12) and the Axis 1 switch (Lim +) of the Limit/Home connector on the Pokeys57CNC.

Then, in Mach4, I configured the Pokeys Plugin - PoLabs, Pulse engine page - basically, I changed the Limit+ value to Ext. dedicated and checked the Inv.+ check mark. That's it, that's all I did. I apply the change and then try to job the Axis 1, expecting the limit switch to stop the motor from running, but it does not stop. I've also tried unchecking the Inv.+ box, but that stops the axis from running all the time, switch closed or not. I must be missing something simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Marshall
Re: Mach4 and Pokeys57CNC limit switches
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 02:15:21 PM »
Hello again - here are the images I put together for the previous message. Hopefully, someone can help!

Thanks,
Marshall
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
  I am also very familiar with this ............... document, especially page 14.

... page 32 as well ?
Just curious, till help arrives. :)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
You know, funny you should mention that. I did see the reference to the wizard and I thought about going that route, however it seems like I should be able to manually configure these switches without having to autodetect. At this point, I don't have that much set up either to have to blow it all away and have my settings put back to square one. I guess I COULD give that a try, if there were no other options. It does seem funny to have to go that direction though.

Thanks!

Marshall
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 03:24:31 PM »
As mentioned in the manual, if you haven't, a shut down and restart after any changes is the only other thing that I can suggest.
Good luck, I'm sure help is on the way.
Russ
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
Hi Russ,

Thanks for that. In all honesty, that is probably something I should double check - what exactly needs to be restarted after a config change like this? Pokey board, Mach4 software, both? Hopefully not the entire PC, that would be a bit much!

Thanks,
Marshall
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 04:43:13 PM »
I would say they are referring to just shutting down and restarting MACH.
Had another thought.
Verify that your switch is wired AND working correctly.
What you describe above is EXACTLY what would happen if the switch was not "making" and "breaking".
Use a meter, LED indication or, just bug a wire to the 2 PoKeys terminals in place of the switch to test your config.
I have seen folks connect a typ. limit switch up to the NO and NC terminals instead of using one or the other along with the COM. (even did it once myself).
Might try that.
Russ
Russ
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:44:55 AM »
Well, this is more than a bit embarrassing, but I guess it happens. I must confess, I considered blaming it on a defective switch for a minute, but that's just not right. Got out my multimeter and did a quick continuity check and...no beeps, switch closed or open. I had run the two wires to the normally open and normally closed pins - of course it didn't work. A bit of solder and five minutes later, everything is working as it should!

Russ, thanks so much for your responses and waking me up to see the obvious! Very much appreciated! Case closed...

Thanks to all who read this as well - looking forward to more great info in the future!

Respectfully,
Marshall
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 07:19:48 AM »
Good job Marshall, you're on a roll now.
Quite welcome !
Kind regards,
Russ
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 06:28:09 PM »
Hello everyone, first time ever posting anywhere so please excuse my ineptness.  I'm having difficulties sensing a home sensor on a router that I'm trying to setup.  I'm using a Pokeys57CNC board, Mach4, and external stepper drivers.  I have a NPN sensor which takes pin #12 on the Limit/Home connector of the Pokeys57CNC low when sensing the axis in the physical home position.  I don't get any indication on the Mach4 diagnostics screen that it's detecting the sensor.  The router that I'm trying to setup has three axis.  I've started out with the Z.  I can control the + and - direction of the motor but haven't been able to get any further do to my input issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!