Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:54:33 PM

Author Topic: controlling JP-3163B in 6040T USB CNC with Mach4  (Read 12467 times)

Re: controlling JP-3163B in 6040T USB CNC with Mach4
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »
Hi Rob,
yes you are right.

To OP,
as Rob has pointed out if you were to use a UC100 (or an PMDX-411 or a 57CNCD25) you could just plug into the parallel port socket on your controller board
and it would work That would require that you have decent info about your board so you can match to the UC100. Do you have GOOD documentation
with your controller?
The only other issue is that future expansion is very limited, the UC100 has one ports worth of IO. If you are of the opinion you will want more in the near future
you'd be better off buying a more capable unit straight up. However all three devices are attractively priced, around $120USD. Just as a warning there are lots of
Chinese UC100 knockoffs on Ebay in particular. DON'T waste your money on that rubbish, go direct to CNCDrive or their nominated distributor.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
Craig - I’m in the US and while I appreciate your generous offer, I’d rather replace existing junk with higher quality components.

I’m going to get some local engineering eyes on my situation and I’ve passed this thread to my local contact so he can help me make a decision. It seems straightforward to purchase a motion controller with expansion capacity and then gain CNC experience before replacing steppers down the road.

You’ve all been great and thank you for being so responsive all day today. I’m watching some good football while typing this post, so I’ll sign off and bid you all a good night.
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 10:51:52 AM »
Or this, plug it straight into that par port

https://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-411

I have a couple of PMDX products, a 126 and a 107, and am happy to vouch for the quality and attention to detail in the electronics design and execution, rock solid and reliable with superb support.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:54:25 AM by m3chanist »
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
As time allows, I've made good progress on getting my setup working. Based on submitted feedback, I've added a Pokeys 57CNC motion controller board that communicates with the original JP-3163B stepper driver via a custom cable (see attached photos). I've been able to print mounts that still allows me to use the original controller housing, but I'm having a few issues getting smooth control over the CNC.

At this point, I can control the Pokeys board via Mach4 and when I send MDI commands, they're being transmitted by the Pokeys57CNC motion controller and relayed through the JP-3163B stepper driver. However, just doing a test on the x-axis runs, the motion appears to be jerky or not smooth when I use a feed rate less than 50. With help from an engineering colleague, I've been messing with the counts per unit (i.e., the steps per unit) for the x-axis motor, and while I don't know the exact specs of my leadscrews,  I've pretty much got it dialed in to get the correct distance per input I provide in the MDI code. My problem is that I can't figure out why I'm not getting smooth motion when testing the x-axis.

I've convinced myself that this isn't a hardware problem because I have a direct drive setup and the stepper motor isn't physically slipping on the leadscrew. As I try to diagnose the issue, I've noticed that the jerky motion isn't consistent from run-to-run, but it is certainly much worse when I use a slow feed rate. Any feed rate less than 50 and I'm sure to lose distance moved because the motion hesitates at some point. In the attached video (http://www.amazon.com/photos/share/LzcklOx62Hd6FQ00eDM10hM5eXv15WHFSIYEV0rsoyw), you can hear the hesitation (low hum goes away during hesitation). I tried to keep my phone still while recording, but there are places in the 30-second video where you can see and hear the problems I'm having.

Any ideas of what may be going on? Could it be that the Pokeys57CNC motion controller is sending commands to the JP-3161B stepper driver too quickly? If so, what would I need to change in the configuration? I didn't find an option in the Pokeys plugin config that allowed me to change the baud rate or even change the communication speed. When I used the Pokeys diagnostics tool, it appeared that the communication was never more than 25% of max, so I'm really at a loss here.

Any ideas?

Ryan
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 06:17:10 AM »
I went pretty strong as I want to cut carbon fiber and aluminum mainly. 425oz/in stepers: https://www.oyostepper.com/category-1-b0-Hybrid-Stepper-Motor.html

and the M542 Stepper drivers: https://www.oyostepper.com/category-16-b0-Stepper-Motor-Driver.html

along with the POKEYS57CNC Motion Controller.

It is my intention to cut parts for a new  Z- and Y-axis for the frame.  I want a larger Z-Axis than the current 70mm and need it to be solid.

I have confront the some problem as above commentros. I have a robots, i face some problems.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 07:50:51 AM »
If I was King of the land, which I am not............. ;)

A declaration would be made such that any Chinese junk 60xx controller would be considered contraband and must be destroyed.
Anyone in possession or providing the  contraband item would have only two options, namely,  life imprisonment or death.

Back to dreaming ............. , ;D

RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
If I was King of the land, which I am not............. ;)

A declaration would be made such that any Chinese junk 60xx controller would be considered contraband and must be destroyed.
Anyone in possession or providing the  contraband item would have only two options, namely,  life imprisonment or death.

Back to dreaming ............. , ;D

RICH

Excellent  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
Hi,
you've done well and got a good external motion controller and very much doubt its causing your problem. I think those stepper drivers are the problem.

Do you have them setup for microstepping? The problem you describe sounds like midband resonance which is common in cheap drivers and especially with no
microstepping employed.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm sorry that the thread went a little off-topic here recently. I will say that being a novice, I've learned far more by having to really dig into the hardware/software, which is in contrast to the sentiments being expressed recently.

I will ensure that the steppers are set up for microstepping, but I believe I'm missing a few set screws to connect the stepper motors to the leadscrews. I'm trying to figure out the setscrew specs now, but when I sacrificed some from another axis, the X-axis motion issue appeared to go away. Thus, I'm beginning to conclude that this was a hardware issue all along.

Regards,

Ryan
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2021, 05:41:54 PM »
I can make the JP3163b working fine but i can NOT set  up the input for the probe can everyone know how to set it up for the input probe.
that all i need so i can run. my system to setup to run with UC100 USB motion controller for the config is X = 2/3  Y = 4/5 Z = 6/7 A = 8/9
they are running fine.
Thank you in advance. 

my email is mctslc@gmail.com