Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:09:42 AM

Author Topic: controlling JP-3163B in 6040T USB CNC with Mach4  (Read 12472 times)

Re: controlling JP-3163B in 6040T USB CNC with Mach4
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »
I went pretty strong as I want to cut carbon fiber and aluminum mainly. 425oz/in stepers: https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/hybrid-stepper-motor/nema-23-bipolar-3nm-425ozin-42a-57x57x114mm-4-wires-cnc-stepper-motor-23hs45-4204s.html
and the M542 Stepper drivers: https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/hybrid-stepper-motor/nema-23-bipolar-3nm-425ozin-42a-57x57x114mm-4-wires-cnc-stepper-motor-23hs45-4204s.html

along with the POKEYS57CNC Motion Controller.

It is my intention to cut parts for a new  Z- and Y-axis for the frame.  I want a larger Z-Axis than the current 70mm and need it to be solid.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:32:40 PM by RBeaubien »
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
“Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X.  She's never coming back and don't ask Y.”
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »
Okay, I had the sense you were good at this, but now I feel silly for posting my problems! I've been digging through the specs on all components in the electronics enclosure I received, and attached is a photo of everything. Looking up the JP-1635A board suggests that's the stepper for my 4th axis (A), which means that the JP-3163B must be both the motion controller and stepper driver, correct? Apart from the 24V power supply and spindle controller, there's nothing else in the box. While I'm not as competent as this individual (https://hackaday.io/project/6776-3040-cnc-milling-machine-mods/log/20946-day-1), I'm thinking about modifying my case to receive the replacement PMDX or PoKeys board and leave everything else as-is. Do you think that would work?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »
Hi,
that controller board has three stepper drivers on it. If you remove the controller you in effect remove the stepper drivers as well.

The six white ICs on the board look like optocouplers to the driver ICs so it might be possible to 'insert' signals from another controller and have the drivers respond to it and
leave the existing board in place but the controller section of it would be idle.

While you could do that unless you have fair electronic skills it likely to be  a battle. I note that you said the power supply is 24V. That is a low voltage for steppers
and they will be pretty slow. The golden rule is that with steppers the higher the DC input voltage the faster you can spin them without stalling or missing steps.
Given the comparatively low voltage which could be a reflection of the voltage limits of the driver ICs then the effort to modify what you have just to use three
underperforming stepper drives becomes even less attractive.

It is highly likely that you will replace the stepper drives at some point. Those driver IC's are pretty tender. If one blows you have to desolder it and replace it.
If you cant desolder without damage to the board or you can't find/buy a new IC then you throw the whole board away. Even if the ICs didn't fail you will be
disappointed at the axis speeds you can achieve with only 24V.

The real option is to replace the controller with a Mach4 ready board, fit a breakout board should your selected controller require it, and replace those stepper drivers
ideally with a matching high (50-70V) voltage supply.

Clearly if you are buying quality parts the you may expect to spend $500-$1000. Is this within your budget? The fact that you have bought Mach4 means that you are committed
to getting a Mach4 controller, the simplest and cheapest from known manufacturers are $120. Such simple devices have 'one ports worth' of IO. They are adequate for
a simple router but lack the IO for any real expansion. The PMDX-424 has two ports, the ESS has three ports, the UC300 has five ports and the 57CNC has the equivalent
of three and bit ports. Any of these devices will work, all have reputable backup.

As for stepper drivers Gecko has a well deserved reputation for quality and reliability. The G540 is a breakout board and 4 axis driver combined. It is 50V capable,
good but not earth shattering. Many people use it with satisfaction, they are $300. You could also buy individual  Gecko drives which are rated to 70-80V but
they will cost something like $150 each

A number of experienced CNCers on the forum recommend Leadshine AM882 drivers, capable to 80V and up to 8A. They can be had for about $80 each, good value.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 03:51:40 PM »
Here is the box I built.   I have made room for a 4th axis.  It has a 600w 36v power supply.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
“Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X.  She's never coming back and don't ask Y.”
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »
Thanks for the input. Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than an additional $300 to find a Mach4-compatible motion controller and stepper drivers, and the suggestions that have been put forth in this thread certainly fit the bill. I'm lucky to have a friend close-by who is an actual engineer (unlike me, I'm a biologist), and he's going to review the thread and help me work toward a good solution here.

I just want to state once more how impressed I am with the liveliness of members of this forum. This is highly encouraging for a newbie like me, and I look forward to contributing back ASAP.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »
Hi,
for that budget you'll get a good external motion controller Mach4 ready but not much more.

Nice pic of the box but the boards in it are different from the pic in your earlier post?

Hard to make out whats what...

Craig
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »
Hi All,
sorry should pay more attention, that's Rob's box of goodies not OPs.

Looks good Rob.

Craig
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 06:32:04 PM »
NEMA 23 Stepper - $25.21 * 4 = 100.84
M542T Stepper driver - $31.93 * 4 = $127.72
POKEYS57CNC  $159.22
Total: $387.78 + shipping/taxes

You'd also likely need a higher output power supply.  A 36v 600w power supply will be $80, or a 48v 1000w will be $150 so $500 would be bottom end decent for a hobby machine.

And to clarify, I don't have the CNC experience, but I do have a lot of experience with Stepper motors and drivers from building and using 3D printers for years, so I am comfortable recommending those parts.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:36:45 PM by RBeaubien »
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »
Hi rndpig,
my confusion notwithstanding.....your budget pretty much precludes replacing the drivers at least with good quality ones.

There are plenty of cheap Chinese driver boards on EBay but all of low quality. It maybe that you have to get one as a temporary measure.
The other possibility is as I suggested earlier and modify your existing controller so that you can use the stepper drivers only.

My training/profession/obsession is electronics. If I had the board in front of me I could probably tell you within ten minutes whether what I've proposed is
feasible. In absence of the board I would like some detailed pics of the board close up. In particular I wish to see the circuit traces of the six white Opto ICs.

Where abouts in the world are you...I live in New Zealand so I can pretty much guarantee that I'm a long way from you. It still might be feasible to send me the board
and withy luck ( could modify it and send it back without costing us a fortune in postage.

Craig
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
Hey Craig, correct me if I'm wrong, but since it looks like that board has a parallel port on it, couldn't he use a UC100 motion controller?  Might be a cheap way to get going. ( I did confirm you can connect to PC with parallel port). 

EDIT:  https://cnc4pc.com/catalog/product/view/id/978/s/pokeys57cncdb25-motion-controller-for-mach4/category/152/
You should be able to use this with your electronics as is with MACH4.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:56:22 PM by RBeaubien »
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-