Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:49:13 PM

Author Topic: Delta servo and uc 300 5 lpt motion controller.  (Read 7546 times)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Delta servo and uc 300 5 lpt motion controller.
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »
The UB1 breakout board only works with the ethernet UC300ETH. it won't work with a USB UC300.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 01:11:18 PM »
S0 I will use the drive in position control mode and do u think my Bob that I have  can be used or shall I have to buy UB1.
But again if I go for ub1 Bob it only works with uc300eth as said by Gerry
Cuz now I am planning to run the setup on table before connecting to the actual machine.,hope it works well,and if I have still anyn

Regards
Jeetesh  mm
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
Hi,
the BoB you've already got will probably work. The documentation is very light on detail. In particular it does not specify the characteristics of the outputs 2-9.
To hook direct to your servo you want open collector outputs capable of sinking current and can withstand 24V. I suspect that they can't withstand that voltage
and will have to be buffered before it can be used. I think also that you'll probably need two of them.

Each one has only 5 inputs, you'll need two for the fault lines which leaves only three for all the limits, homes etc.

My I suggest that you try the one you have on the bench to see if will work OK and then decide if you want or need another one. The only way to
know if it can handle the 24V opencircuit voltage of the servo drive input is to hook it up and try it. It is quite possible that it will damage the BoB.
The safe way would be to hook up a transistor/mosfet or buffer IC. How are your electronic skills?

There are BoBs on the market that will handle 24V, they would have to be chosen with care but they are out there.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 02:24:32 AM »
Once again thx Craig,
I will try the Bob I have on the desk and see if it can handle 24v,can u let me know how to hook a transistor ,mosfet or buffer ic .all I know is some basic electronics.can u give me a ckt. Diagram along with part number to hook to my Bob.
Regards
Jeetesh.
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 02:38:36 AM »
Hi,
you have to decide whether you'll try to hook it up without a transistor/mosfet and risk blowing it or use a transistor/mosfet. It'll be too late
if you decide to hook it direct and it can't handle it.

Craig
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 03:44:26 AM »
Hi,
I don't want to blow it anyway.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Can u help me with a circuit diagram on how to hook a transistor or a mosfet or a buffer ic to the Bob.

Regards
Jeetesh
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »
Hi,
you'll need at least four of these circuits, one each for Step and Dir for both servos. You'll probably need another four eventually, one for enable and one
for fault reset for both servos.

Given that you have to signal the Step pins at 100kHz it maybe that a simple transistor like this will be inadequate. If that's the case we'll use an IC.
Try the transistor to start with. Note I used a BC547 as I have hundreds of them but any small signal NPN transistor would do.

Craig
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »
Thx Craig,
I guess I can start now but on the desk and not on the actual machine.once my bench setup is complete and servo motor is running as desired,I will go for the actual setup on my lathe.
I can't thank you enuff Craig for supporting me so much.
I will let u know the results asap.
Regards
Jeetesh.
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2018, 09:37:13 AM »
hi craig
,i am coming here after a year almost.just got  some time to setup my bench setup of delta servo uc 300 and mach 3.i tried as we discussed.but my servo motors not moving .then i tried a parallel setup with stepper motor and the same bob,uc 300 and mach 3 and it worked.but with servo i havent got any luck in moving it.i just checked voltage levels of outputs from my bob and it shows near to 5 v(precisely 4.89v).
               i feel pulse and sign inputs for delat servo drive asda b2 is 24v.i tried to read the manual but couldnt found it anywhere written in the manual about the magnitude of signals to fed to pulse and sign inputs.
all i can get is written open collector outputs.
can u plz help with this
thx and regards
jeetesh
 and yes merry xmas to you.
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »
Hi,
the UC300 is  a 5V TTL device. You would be most unwise to hook it directly to ANY other device that either has onboard a differing
power supply voltage or even requires a signal source of a different voltage.

If, for instance, the Delta servo drive has a input hooked via a resistor to 24V expecting your input device (the UC300) to sink current and
'drag' that 24V down to near zero then there is a high probability that the 24V will damage the TTL output of the UC300.

For this reason you need a buffer or amplifier that adapts the 5V TTL output of the UC300 to the 24V Delta servo drive.

As I posted earlier a simple NPN transistor (or a N channel MOSFET) would be a simple way to do it. You would require one for each
input (1 step plus 1 direction for two servos, (1+1) x 2 =4) and one for each servo enable line, ie another 2 transistors. You may wish to
consider additional circuitry for each of the servo drives to signal the UC300 if a fault occurs with either drive. This could be done
with a resistor and a zener diode. As you can see this dictates that you will have to solder together six transistors, 8 resistors and two
zener diodes at a minimum. If you are not electronically inclined that may rather put you off. I am electronically inclined and trained and so
would happily persue this idea where you may not.

As Gerry has pointed out the UB1 breakout board includes all that circuitry. Exactly why it would not work for a USB connected UC300 is a bit
of a mystery to me. I think it would be worth an email to the manufacturer to ask if that is the case and if there is a modification that would
allow a USB connected to be used. Gerry is clearly impressed with the quality of the UB1 and with Gerry's experience that comes as a high
recommendation.

Craig