Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:56:06 AM

Author Topic: Delta servo and uc 300 5 lpt motion controller.  (Read 7497 times)

Delta servo and uc 300 5 lpt motion controller.
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:27:00 AM »
Hi all,
I am very new to cnc and I want to convert my conventional lathe to mach 3 based cnc.
I have got 750 watts delta asda-b2 series servo drive and motor and uc300 5lpt motion controller.
My first question is does uc 300 works with servo drives? If yes how to interface it with mach3 ,Bob and servos.
If I want to use servos in velocity or torque mode.from the drives documentation I understood that there are pulse and sign inputs whereas mach 3 gives step and dir signals. So how to interface mach3 with servos,using uc300 5 lpt motion controller.

Can someone plz help me with this.
Thanks and regards
Re: Delta servo and uc 300 5 lpt motion controller.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »
Hi,
yes the UC300 will drive servos just fine.

The pulse/sign signals are the same as step/direction. If  you want velocity or torque mode you wont be using step/direction though, those modes
require an analogue voltage (or current).

If you wish to do threading then I would recommend step/direction control, it results very VERY tightly controlled motion just perfect for threading.
Some servos offer two modes of control selectable by the state of one input pin. Would allow you to have a velocity mode spindle for the majority
of operations and switch over to step/direction for threading.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:14:04 AM »
Hi Craig,
Thanx a lot,
 So, that means I have to use my servo drive in position control mode.my requirement mostly will be plain and profile turning and boring.so,will position mode be ok for my operations?secondly can u help me with  signals from mach 3 to uc300 to my servo drive asda-B2-0721( I mean which signals to use,I m kinda lost there).
If it's position control mode,will I be getting the reqd torque or power from the drive.
Your answer will help me a lot.
And thanks once again for replying.

Regards
Jeetesh
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 04:30:39 AM »
Hi,
no, you don't have to use position control. Position control is very precise and good for threading but even for threading you can use just speed control.

I suggest then that you concentrate on velocity mode control. Once your familiar with that some of the other strategies will make sense but for most of the
time velocity control will be good for what you want to do.

You will need to program the drive to accept an analogue voltage as a velocity control input.

You will also need the UC300 and BoB to produce an analogue voltage from PWM.

There will probably be two (at least) other control signals between the UC300/BoB and drive, an enable signal to the drive , a fault signal from the drive
to the BoB/UC300 and possibly a fault reset line as well.

What BoB have you attached to the UC300? Can you post the manuals?

Craig
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
hi,
thx for the quick reply and sorry to reply u late,
i am trying to upload the bob manual for last 2 hrs but its not uploading.
so i am posting a link of the bob manual.

http://www.tinycontrols.com/datasheets/PP-BOB2-v2.pdf

regards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
also attaching servo drive manual

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
Which UC300 do you have, USB or Ethernet?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »
It's a usb uc300
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 10:47:06 PM »
Hi.
the BoB manual tells us that you have an optpisolated PWM output on pin 17.
Using the UC300 plugin assign Machs PWM output to pin 17 of port 1, which should in turn operate the PWM output
on pin 17 of your BOB. Note that you'll need an isolated 10V supply. For testing purposes you could use a 9V battery
but a mains derived 10Vdc supply would be best. Another alternative is to use a linear reg to drop the 24Vdc auxillary supply
available from the drive to 10V. An LM317, a couple of resistors and capacitors and you'd be fine. Let me know if you need
a sketch of the circuit.

With a modest load on the output pin, say 1-2kOhm you should be able to measure a voltage corresponding to spindle speed
by issuing S*********x commands at Machs MDI line. If you can do this you are well on your way to effective speed control of
your spindle.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 03:42:40 AM »
Hi,
Thanks Craig for the immense help,I will follow your instructions on spindle,but I was talking about axis drives.
I am using the above said servo drive for my X and Z axis.
Will uc 300 be helpful with axis movement.
If yes how can I wire or configure it for moving my axis.

Regards
Jeetesh