Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:43:07 AM

Author Topic: +1mm -.99mm?  (Read 7033 times)

+1mm -.99mm?
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
Hi all
I couldn't find an introduction section so I'll spill it all here. I've been a machinist for nearly 40 years but the CNC world is very new to me. I acquired a Non functioning Chinese 30/40 Router and last December purchased a 5 axis controller kit which included 3 nema 23 motors and stepper drivers and so the adventure began. She's all together and running with a licensed Mach3 controlling her, but has a error I can't shake or find any reference to. The X and Y axis keep gaining + and the Z axis - the best way to describe this is if you loop 1mm back and forth the axis will jog 1mm+ but only.99mm- this isn't backlash as it accumulates and after 10 cycles the error is .1mm etc with all 3 axis doing this you can imagine what things look like after 1000 lines of code. I've replaced the breakout board but the error persists. Any ideas answers etc would be much appreciated.
Thanks Mick Qld Aust.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: +1mm -.99mm?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum.

Could it be that you are loosing steps ?

Try reducing your Velocity and Acceleration settings (in Motor Tuning) by 50%, saving the changes, and see if the problem persists.

What happen if you cycle longer movements (say 100mm) ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:19:42 AM »
Hi Tweakie

Thanks for your reply, motor tuning was the first place I tried, currently running at 1000 velocity and 20 acceleration as this seems to be her sweet spot, but have ran her up and down the scale to as low as 100 velocity and 8 acceleration no change in the error anywhere. If she is ran out further than 1mm and back the error is still basically .01mm  after 1000 lines of code about +0.6mm of error on X and Y if she runs 5000 lines or 5 times the code she has +3.0mm error again 5 times as much. Also I'd imagine if this was a tuning or electrical interference issue she'd be losing steps in both directions and not be so consistent, but I'm a computer dinosaur and new to CNC so not sure what to think now especially after changing the breakout board. Thanks for any replies all efforts are appreciated.

Mick.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »
Hi Mick,

Which version of Mach3 are you using ?

Can you please attach your .xml file. The one from your Mach3 folder called <your profile>.xml
You need to copy it then rename the copy to mick1.xml then use the Reply tab and Additional Options to attach.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:23:56 PM »
Hi Tweakie

The version of Mach3 I'm using is 3.043.066
xml file attached I hope ;D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:54:57 AM »
Hi Mick,

There are some known problems with version .066 so it may be best if you installed version R3.043.062. Make a secure back-up copy of your existing Mach3 folder then install version .062 over the top of your existing installation. Version .062 can be downloaded from ftp://anonymous:guest@ftp.machsupport.com/Mach3/Mach3Version3.043.062.exe

In the meantime I will check out your .xml settings and see if I can spot any problems.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
Hi Tweakie

Thanks for that I'm now running R3.043.062 a little late to be making noise so I will test it in the am.

Cheers Mick

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »
Hi Mick,

I can’t find anything in your .xml settings file to cause the problem.

Couple of things though…
In Config. / General Config.  -  set a debounce interval of 100 and uncheck Use Watchdogs.
In Config. / Motor Tuning – try setting Step Pulse and Dir Pulse to 2 and save the changes.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 02:06:12 AM »
Hi Tweakie
Thanks again mate for your time and effort.

Followed your instructions to the letter but still the error persists.

At this point I should clarify this machine was only ever put together as a simulator and intro to CNC, being a Chinese Machine to start with I only purchased a cheap Chinese controller kit and motors, although I've upgraded the breakout board I think the problem lies in this cheap equipment. I've planned all along to either built or buy a more substantial CNC Router.
The question now is.
1: Persevere with the Chinese controller.
2: Cut my loses, build a recommended controller and fit motors from a reputable supplier.
3: Build or buy that more substantial machine.

I'm leaning towards 2 as I don't want to start a more substantial build without really winning on this one also I'd have something to learn/play on while I build and the experience I've gained so far outweighs the cost of this controller.
So if any of you would be kind enough to post links of controller builds, suppliers, videos or anything that would assist in putting a sure fire controller together that would be most appreciated.Thanks again for all your efforts.
Cheers Mick.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 02:35:39 AM »
Regarding machine controllers...
There are all-in-one options but my preference would be Gecko G540 http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g540.html and a separate motion controller (Warp9, PMDX, etc.).
The Gecko website also has lots of useful information which may be of assistance to you.

Once you have your existing machine working in a satisfactory manner then consider building from scratch (or perhaps a kit) the type or design of machine which will meet your needs. My website may be of interest to show the route I followed.

Tweakie.
PEACE