Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:17:14 AM

Author Topic: Stepper issues  (Read 8256 times)

Re: Stepper issues
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 03:11:14 AM »
Yes that is correct,

it is that setup.

And now that you mention it i think it is a 64 bit . Do you think it might work if i re-install it into windows 10 32 bit?

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 03:25:24 AM »
Hi,
don't think you can get Window10 in 32bit.

As far as I'm aware if you wish to use a parallel port then 32bit Windows7 or earlier FULLSTOP.
No exceptions or workarounds.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 03:27:03 AM »
Might be easier to throw in a UC100 and go USB instead or parallel?

Not too cheap but my one has been reliable so far.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 03:28:28 AM »
You can try, not sure if w 10 has a 32 bit version.

W10 has proved problematic for at least one motion controller manufacturer because of its knack of automatic updates which changes the security settings of the port but given that is to with Ethernet usage.

I'll state the obvious here, have you considered using a motion controller?

A motion controller will provide better signal timing (step consistency).  Likewise it may be at least worthwhile considering improvements in cnc software as mach3 although it has been the standard for a long time has not been developed for about 1/3rd of its life.....

What type of cnc machine or process is it?
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 03:36:39 AM »
As I'm no expert in this subject i got a picture to show what we are using

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 04:00:35 AM »
Just to confirm what has already been said...

The parallel port cannot be used with Windows 10.
If you wish to use Win10 then you must use an external motion controller.
If you wish to use the parallel port then you must use Windows 7 (or earlier) 32 bit only.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 04:06:35 AM »
Thanks for all the answers!!

Is there a easy way to go from win 10 to 7 or do I need to buy a new license for that?

Also if we would want a motion controller then where would you suggest to buy one?

Also what are the end result (which are the better one)?

~written from phone
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 04:06:51 AM »
A uc100 has advantages., As do uc300usb / eth & 400eth

Note the uc300eth does not at this time have a mach3 driver, but it should do as all the others do.

Even if you are a mach3 stalwart, best to consider mach4 and others when laying out a load of cash

http://cncdrive.com/products.html, with webshop.  There are local dealers across the world.

Even if you are a mach3 stalwart it is worthwhile at least considering everything at the time of expending money as mach3 is stagnant whilst mach4 (and others) may surpass mach3 in time.

Motion controllers can be a bit of a minefield, as some don't do everything that the parallel port does under mach3, and with mach4s development being slow and steady there can be issues with plugins when a new release lands.

Your cheapest option may be a second old pc with 32 bit windows 7 (or xp...as I run)... but don't loose sight that mach3 is stagnant and at some point a lack of old hardware and software may render it obsolete (but not for a while as w7 PCs can still be found)..... try to find a i386 with w nt + drivers if your software is only compatible with that version gives you an idea of the future at some point
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:17:06 AM by robertspark »
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 04:33:38 AM »
I think Rob has summed it up very well.

Something else to bear in mind is that some external motion controller will work with both Mach3 and Mach4 (using different plugins) but, as Rob has said, the Mach4 plugin software lags behind Mach4 development.

If it’s of any interest, my preference is a dedicated PC running WinXP (licensed copies can be obtained quite cheaply) and using Mach3 with the parallel port.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 06:00:51 AM »
I too vote for the old pc with XP, turn off all the bells and whistles, use it just for Mach. I get mine from eBay about £30ea delivered.

I would have gone Mach4 but I have 3 machines running Mach3 so it didn't make sense at the time, I still don't think Mach4 is ready yet.