Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:07:26 AM

Author Topic: "Software Limits" in Status during Ref All Home  (Read 10129 times)

Re: "Software Limits" in Status during Ref All Home
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 02:20:39 AM »
On the Config Menu, there is a selection called Home/Limits.  This opens a window similar to the Ports and Pins configuration window.  Withing the Home/Limits window there is a column labeled Home Neg (although it will probably only show Home N... since the column is to narrow to see the whole title).  This column will show either a red "X" (home in the positive direction) or a green Check Mark (home in the negative direction).  If I understand your table configuration properly, you'll want a green check in the row for both the X axis and the Y axis.

But another consideration comes to mind as well - when you try to move the axes with the jogging keys (arrow keys by default) are they moving in the correct direction?  (i.e. right arrow should move the X axis in the positive directions and the up arrow should move the Y axis in the positive direction - opposite directions for the left and down arrows.)  If not, you'll need to reverse the Dir LowActive column for the respective axis in the Motor Outputs tab of the Ports and Pins configuration screen.  Make sure the axes are moving in the correct direction first before messing around with the Home direction setting.

As for the Z axis not moving away enough to clear the switch, that may be normal.  It is looking for the switch to become inactive (open in your case) and that usually happens before the stop completely moves away from the switch activation lever.  Check the diagnostics page to make sure the Z home light is not lit after the homing operation for that axis.  (At the end of the Ref All Home operation, all lights for home and limit should be off for all axes.)

I remember the Apple IIe.  I never had one (I was a commodore VIC 20 guy around that time - I was in the military at my first duty station) but my neighbor had one.  My first computer experiences was with a Radio Shack TRS-80 that my High School had for computer classes and I did some programming in Basic.  I also took a COBOL class my senior year.  That was a load of fun! (NOT)  We would hand write our code on coding sheets which were then sent to the Data Entry class to be typed onto IBM Punch Cards.  These card decks were then sent to the local college to be processed on their IBM mainframe computer system and then returned for us to see the results of our coding efforts.  This process usually took 3 - 5 days.  So in the meantime, we're working on our next projects so when we finally see the results (occasionally with errors in the program) we would already be a couple of lessons or so down the road.  But if there were errors, we would have to fix them and run through the whole process all over again because often times these programs would become subroutines of later programs and we would combine the card decks of all the component routines into one deck (ususally with additional cards for variable assignments) and run it again at the college.  You can imagine the challenge that process posed but it definitely taught us to be very meticulous in our coding phase so that we didn't have as many errors although sometimes it was the keypunch operators (students) that made a mistake.

Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane there.  I'm sure we'll have you running your machine soon.

Thanks,

Highspeed

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 02:28:28 AM »
Not seen it mentioned yet but certain points here make me think switch bounce, try increasing your debounce value - General -> General Config -> Debounce just for tests stick a reasonable figure in like 1000
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 03:44:22 AM »
Good point, Dave.  I had thought about that too but couldn't find where it was configured.  Thanks for adding that.  I'm assuming that for the limit and home switches that would be the Debounce Interval and not the Index Debounce?

Highspeed
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:46:26 AM by Highspeed1964 »

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 04:00:49 AM »
Yes i think so, not sure on what Index debounce does.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 02:53:10 PM »
I just spent 1.5 hrs checking machine, making notes and clicking reply (to #10,11,12 & 13) and typing;  and clicking post to see red note "must be logged in"  and "the subject line is empty"  and it somehow went Poof!

Oh, My, this is daunting in the extreme,

Ya-But
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »
After the lost (Poof) reply I went to Config/Home/Limits to Home Neg and clicked a green check in the rows X Axis & Y Axis.  Then clicked Ref ALL button - WOW!   Tool went to Home on Z, Y & X in that order….it backs off a bit but still sitting on all the switches, and stopped.   That's the first time it's ever done all that.

As it sits, there are yellow lights in Diagnostic:  M2--Limit and M2Home.
Reset is flashing and Status message says "Limit switch is triggered".

I didn't want to touch anything, just File/End session/close XP……..and go shoot up the town!    That's the first progress to date,

Thanks to Highspeed1964 and Davek0974.  I'll file the "switch bounce" adjustment for possible later use.

YA-But   

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »
Yay!  Great to make progress.  I know the joy as I went through much of this not long ago.  Being that it's all still fresh in my mind is a big part of what helped me remember enough to pay it forward.

Switch debounce is definitely the next step to getting the stops to back off the switches now that we have things reacting the correct way on the movements.  That should clear it up to get you backing off the switches.

But go enjoy an evening on the town and revel in the current accomplishment first.  We'll be here when you get back... :)

Highspeed
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »
I read in the manual at 5.6.6.4  "General Logic Config..  Column 4  " it reads  "…….The Index pulse and the other inputs have independent settings".  That's the word regarding Index Debounce.  Wow, that's really profound :-)  

Anyway, I added 1000 in the Debounce Interval box as Dave suggested, did a Ref All and it made all Home switches in turn and backed off each a bit but not far enough to clear/open any.  But the 1000 addition made a difference - No flashing Reset as the the Ref All process finished with all three homes witches (sp) still triggered.   Progress!  I've tried setting the debounce, 1k per trial, up to 4000.   Not sure if this increases the travel to getting off the switch. Or is it normal that it sits on the switch?  Any problem otherwise if it remains on the switch?   Also, what can a high 4000 setting cause otherwise?

Curiously I then jogged to the Z limit switch.  Reset flashes. Status: "External E-Stop requested"    Diag: M1 ++ Lim   M2++ Lim  M3--  Limit     all 3 yellow.  Same for the other two axes.   That's probably normal.  How do I get off the 3 switches?
Do I click "Mach3 can fix the setting changes for you"?     If I agree, thought it might mess other parameters that have been configured.  so I ended the session, closed Mach3 and manually backed off all switches.

Clearing a limit switch takes several resets repetitions: Jog one step,RESET, clear the reset, jog one step, RESET, clear Reset  etc, etc till it clears the switch.   Must be a better way?

Thanks,
 Ya-But

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »
One of the screens ALt6, I think......,  has a button that will allow you to jog off the switches.
Have a look see.

RICH
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »
I have mentioned my Mach3 problem in another session as well.. however, by googling I got this page so I am mentioning here as well.

To, HIGHSPEED & Others: The External ESTop is on and by clicking Reset it is not going away.. .also I just check that on the Diagnostic Screen my M3++ LIM light is Yellow, ON. Is it because I might move the Jog manually a little bit or for other reason..... .How can I get rid of it. Any suggestion?