Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:47:33 AM

Author Topic: Just about to throw in throw in the towel now :(  (Read 9618 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Just about to throw in throw in the towel now :(
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »
Ok well I do not need to do it  immediately, I can press that button at any point after I take Mach out of reset, often the machine has been switched on for 4 or 5 hours before I pulse the Index.

Hood

Yes this is the same, just needs doing once to get things going, don't matter when

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 09:39:24 AM »
Well hopefully the A axis  DRO was the issue, I do not like using axis DROs for things they were not intended to do as you have several factors playing out at the same time. Firstly an axis DRO contains not only the machine coords but also the offset coords, so there is a possibility of issues there. Secondly you usually need an axis enabled to use its DRO, but add to that there is an external controller with a plugin in the loop then all sorts of things could happen.

Fingers crossed it is now resolved by using the user DRO.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 09:46:53 AM »
Well, there was a slight hitch, fun to discover but no damage - it seems DRO1200 is really the ToolChange X-axis park position so as i was testing the macro motion I called a go-to-tool-change position macro and off it shoots to the same value as i had the tool setter set at :)

This is only relevant to the 2010 screen set though, i have passed it back to Ger for a fix :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »
Does it not have DRO100 on that screenset? If not then ask him to use it, it is an encoder input DRO so should not be affected by anything else. If you do press the button which zeroes it (the Enc 4 Zero button , not your Index one) then it shouldn't matter as the macropump will flip it right back to where it should be.
Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 09:57:18 AM »
I did ask to use DRO100 but he said it was the encoder one so would not go for it.

Dro's above 1200 were then suggested as user ones but it seems some have been used by the system, maybe Ger forgot ;)

I have asked for a re-edit to another number.

I did try it on 100 as you suggested and it did seem to work but with no display.

I could not see DRO 100 on the 1024 set either?
Might have not looked hard enough though.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 10:02:27 AM »
Ok maybe it  is not on the screen, just presumed it would be as it is predominatly a 4 axis screenset.

Anyway I would personally go for the encoder DRO but any unused User DRO should also work. CS Labs tend to use 1500 and up I think so again you will have to watch out.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 06:25:21 AM »
I think Stirling has identified the issue and I will test it tonight, it appears either my ill-advised use of DRO803 is the issue and/or the fact that i am calling the macros from a macro and not running the code directly in a button.

The pudding will be proved tonight ;)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 07:02:12 AM »
Wojtek or Andrew, can't recall which, advised me that actually using a line driver for the Index pulse would be a be the correct way but as I had it done with the pulse and it worked I have never changed it. It could be that having the line driver pulse it then the Index will reset every time the button is pressed rather than just once after reset, not sure......

Hood

As i now have the differential feed for the index/reset but it made no change, reading up on the signal to feed the line-driver with got me to this point..

I am currently pulsing the index input low with a button but the encoder provides a voltage output - see diagram in pic below.

The encoder instructions list the output as "Provides a voltage output" for this model.

Should i really be supplying a +5v pulse instead?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
Hood (mainly), I just got a reply from Cs-Labs re the reset or index situation....

"
The counter value of the CSMIO-ENC module are reset with reset in Mach3 and that is the only way to zero the counters.

To solve that you can use your own UserDRO to which you will copy the counter state.
Whenever you want you can reset your UserDRO state.
The UserDRO reset isn't about entering 0 value to it.
It's about adding or subtracting the value to get the 0 in your UserDro.
"

So that answers it then - to reset the counter you have to reset Mach3, the index just enables the counter initially.

So, with some thought, a 'Zero" button should be do-able but i'll save that for another day i think, it works well as long as the reader is down at ref position when you get going, my one is a bit stiff (ooh-err) as the linear motion is pretty poor but was free :), your linear guide version won't suffer this issue.

Interesting.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »
Thinking about a reset button over my coffee ;)

Should be simple - just needs a vb button on screen that sets a #var to whatever value is in the encoder counter when pressed, lets call it #null-me-out

In the macropump code the sum would now be...

set user dro to (encoder-count - #null-me-out) / steps-mm

any reason that should not create a button that can zero out the DRO at any given reading?