Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:55:48 PM

Author Topic: Just about to throw in throw in the towel now :(  (Read 9598 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Just about to throw in throw in the towel now :(
« on: September 04, 2016, 07:36:19 AM »
Ok, so have my CNC conversion at the stage where i wanted to make a part, several tool changes, two setups, both sides of part worked :)

First side went ok, changed the setup, set my offsets again.

First pass went ok, tool-change was requested and made (manual), path was cut correctly.

next tool change comes up - goes ok, machine faults out on run due to my tool being shorter and not realising it - the controller throws a limit error.

Ok, move bed up, re-cam the part so no first run, this time the tool change is ignored - machine just sits there idle waiting for me to push start as if the tool change had been made.

It did not move to tool change position so i took the tool out and pressed start, it carried on as if.

pressed stop, rewind, try again - same behaviour, no M6 macro

closed mach, restarted, re-homed, re-run - same, no M6 macro

I manually changed the tool to 1 from 6, re-run and it carried on merrily trying to run with the wrong tool loaded (it thought, spindle was empty)

I am getting really disheartened with the odd crap thats been going on here, i cant trust it all, its a crap-shoot if it will work or you will spend all day like today restarting and rehoming the damn thing.

Can anyone shed light on what can stop the macros running?

I had issues yesterday with the tool-setter macro not behaving, but i have not messed with that today and the macro pump is back to where it was before.

Arrrgh!

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Just about to throw in throw in the towel now :(
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 07:49:32 AM »
You're doing what's known in the business as "thrashing".

You're moving from one thing to the other without REALLY understanding what you're doing and getting more and more frustrated. The final resort of all "thrashers" is to blame the system.

I'm really surprised and a little pissed to be honest that I'm spending time trying to narrow down what's amiss in your other thread and instead of working with me your off pissing about with a system that you KNOW has problems.

Take a break - have a coffee or a smoke or whatever and then concentrate on ONE thing at a time. Move logically from one step to the next and you'll get there. Carry on thrashing and you'll continue your journey up your own rear end.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 07:58:34 AM »
Apologies if thats how it seems but the other issue is only related to the tool height setter, I am not using that now, I have a working set of heights so i pushed that subject to a back-burner in order to get some chip-time on the machine at last.

All the macros were either returned to previous states or not called so they should have no effect on this problem.

I could not see the point of carrying on with the setter at this time as i need to make stuff as well - the setter is a luxury after all.

I have not touched the M6 macro or any other macro today, it was a fresh start up so i presumed all would play nicely but it seems not.

If preferred i will go back and finish the setter if that helps but if something really IS messing up macro's then whats the point - the setter uses macros.

AFIK it should all be working but its not, hence the hair pulling.

Apologies again and thanks for the help so far, i have had coffee but still no idea which way to turn. The part is safe as i have noted the offsets so no loss there, it will stay bolted down until i am satisfied it is safe to try again.

BTW, although i asked about modifying the M6Start in another thread, I can assure ALL that it was just a question - i have done nothing about that thought yet.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 08:02:31 AM »
I have used my code with the buttons and DROs for over 6 years without a hitch, might be worth trying it,  unchanged, it has been proven to work?
Then if it doesn't for you then investigate why not.
As said my coding skills are crap but it works for me and never fails, it also works for my pal in Glasgow who used it on his Boss retro and now uses it one his Avon retro.

Regarding you keeping the Index low, maybe that is fine, maybe it is not. I don't do that so I can not say whether it is good or not.
 Now one thing I can tell you is when I had the Index hooked up to the scales index the DRO would not start until the first index was seen and at that time it would start counting from zero. The glass scale had several Index marks along its length and each time the Index pulse was seen the DRO would be zeroed.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 08:06:57 AM »
One more thing, height offsets are improtant, if you have a tool call and then have an axis move before you have called the height offset then you may run into problems. Whether that is the case with your code I have no idea.

Also if you use the Stop Spindle and wait for Start option in Mach then I think the M6End.m1s macro comes into play, so may be worth looking at it as well. I have it blank.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »
Thanks Hood, seems i have dropped myself in a can of worms.

I am going back to finish off the setter as Stirling mentioned above.

Yes, the index must be seen before things start working.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 08:19:27 AM »
Yes but can you be sure that holding it low does not cause issues?
I can't say one way or the other but maybe it would be best to try it the way that is known to work. Once everything is working as intended  then that is the time to adapt things and try out new approaches, if that is what you want.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 08:24:41 AM »
Yes, i have it on a push button at present, holding it low was just a test but does seem ok.

Its on a momentary button now

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »
Wojtek or Andrew, can't recall which, advised me that actually using a line driver for the Index pulse would be a be the correct way but as I had it done with the pulse and it worked I have never changed it. It could be that having the line driver pulse it then the Index will reset every time the button is pressed rather than just once after reset, not sure......

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »
That would make sense as it will then get the differential signal not just a half signal.

I can do that.