Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:19:27 AM

Author Topic: Motors are not operating correctly  (Read 8782 times)

Re: Motors are not operating correctly
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
Something I saw in another thread is that the arrow keys for the X axis would run reverse on the first press, but release it and press again and the axis would move in the correct direction.  Can you check and see if this is the case for you?  I know you said this was all running until the cleaning, but if it's the wireless keyboard it could do strange things like this.  (I don't think that other thread revealed any solution.)

Highspeed
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 04:08:08 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what happens intermittently.  It will move in the correct direction via the keyboard arrows, then not, and okay again.  However, this also happens intermittently when using the jog arrows on Mach 3.  The intermittent nature is the problem here.  It would be alot easier to determine the problem area and course of action if it happened all the time as opposed to the 5th, 20th, etc. time.  The motors and drivers are not getting hot.  Any other suggestions?  I certainly appreciate the help.  
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »
one other thing to check is the motor cables.  I have seen this ALOT.  if you have the 4 pin plugs that have the locking screw on ring.  The plugs have a molded KEY,  so they cannot get plugged in wrong.  WELL,  that great except that they can be plugged in wrong.  It will cause funky issues.

Check to make sure that everything is lined up.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 05:52:46 PM »
I turned off the wifi for the internet, replaced the wireless keyboard/mouse with wired versions, and checked the motor cables.  I jogged in all directions approximately 20 times and it ran correctly, so thought it was fixed.  However, ran it a few times and it started having directional problems once again.  Then it worked correctly again.  Essentially, have a unreliable/unusable mill at this point.  Any other suggestions?  Could uninstall and reinstall of Mach 3 possibly help? 
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
I used a multimeter to check directional pins on BOB.  Also, checked 5V on the BOB and it indicated 2.82

Operating correctly:
(Z) 2.84, .56
(Y) 2.82, .88
(X) 2.62, .92

Here is what I got when  Z+ worked, Z- no movement, Y+ and Y- moved toward Y- direction regardless of what key associated with Y axis was pressed, X- and X + moved to X- regardless of what key associated with X axis was pressed.
(Z)  2.63, .88
(Y) 2.63, .92
(X) 2.32, .92

When it isn't working correctly the malfunction is always the same as indicated above which may mean something.  What is your take on the numbers?  What else to check?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 01:22:26 AM »
I used a multimeter to check directional pins on BOB.  Also, checked 5V on the BOB and it indicated 2.82

If you are using 5 volts to supply the breakout board then it should read 5 volts not 2.82.

Disconnect the supply to each of the driver's pul+ one at a time and see if the BoB voltage rises to +5 volts - if so then there is a fault with that particular driver.
If no fault is found then perhaps replace your 5 volt power source and see if this cures the problem.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:35:30 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 02:22:18 AM »
When you checked 5v on the BOB, was it at the point the PSU was connected?

I would disconnect the PSU and check again, if this is one of the cheap silver PSUs, they are usually adjustable by a couple of volts, but don't adjust when connected to the BOB;)
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 05:40:35 PM »
"Disconnect the supply to each of the driver's pul+ one at a time and see if the BoB voltage rises to +5 volts."  

I did this and there was no change in the volts for the 3 drivers.  I put the multimeter on the power supply 5V connection to see what it is showing and again checked the 5V connection on the BOB.  They both showed 1.15.  The following is the model of my power supply, but cosmetically mine looks different than what is pictured.  http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/switching-power-supply/48v12-5a   I also checked the 12V connection on the power supply that is connected to the case fan and it showed around 12V.  There are 2 wires coming from the 5V of the power supply consisting of one to the 5V on the BOB and the other connected to one of the driver's PUL+.  Do I have to replace this type of power supply entirely, or just disconnect the 5V wires and add another 5V power supply?  Something like  http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/switching-power-supply/kl-10-5-5v2a  Thanks.  

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:43:35 PM by JD2016 »
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 12:06:51 AM »
I'd start by disconnecting everything from the power supply and checking the voltage being put out with no load.  If it reads 5V, then most likely there is something else loading it down although it could be an adjustment in the power supply.  I see it is a switching power supply and these usually have an output voltage adjustment.  This adjustment can be thrown off, though, if the current draw is too high.  Try checking the no load voltage and then add in components one at a time (I'd start with the breakout board) and see if you can determine a specific component that causes this drop in voltage.

Now if the no load voltage reading is also low, then it is most likely a bad power supply.  You _could_ run two different power supplies, but then you may get into some weird situations of ground loops or even worse - different ground reference altogether.  I'd really recommend replacing the one power supply and keep it simpler that way.

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
It indicated low voltage with no load, so I will replace the power supply.  The power supply is approximately 2 years old with not a lot of hours of usage, and cost around $110.  Would you suggest to go that route again, or an alternative setup?  Also, what is the likelihood that a power supply issue would be the cause of the direction problems that I outlined in prior posts?  Thanks for all of the help.