Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:51:26 AM

Author Topic: Jog Buttons reversed in Mach 3 after crashing Y axis  (Read 6930 times)

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
Jog Buttons reversed in Mach 3 after crashing Y axis
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
Hi guys,

Looking to glean info from seasoned vets in this forum. I bought a LMS 3990 and CNC Fusion kit. Homebuilt CNC with Mach 3 on Windows XP.
Last night I was jogging the X, Y Z axis and thought I set the 0 in a safe place, so I hit the button onscreen "Go to O" and my Y axis crashed into platform so I hit the soft stop/reset button.

Then when I Reset it, my Y buttons were reversed up moved the table down and vice versa. What should I do? I went into hot keys and hit Y++ to the Up arrow and Y-- to the Down arrow and it did not work. Y++ should be moving the table away from me? Previously the arrows worked in the way I wanted to jog the table.

Thoughts?

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Jog Buttons reversed in Mach 3 after crashing Y axis
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »
If you persist in thinking of moving the table wrt to the world, you will contiinue to have problems. It is 'wrong thinking'.

Axes and directions in the CNC world are for the movement of the 'controlled point' (or tip of the milling cutter) wrt the job. This may not be intuitive at first, especially if you have been doing it the wrong way for some time, but it IS the convention which machines, CAD and CAM use. Get used to it.

Cheers
Roger

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 07:53:33 AM »
Not sure this answered my question. What made Mach 3 flip the direction of jog? Or is something else afoot.
But you create another question;
Should I not be moving the table intuitively in the direction I want to jog it i.e. up arrow moves table toward the column(Y++), down arrow away(Y--)? That was the way it was set up and seems normal when doing manual milling.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 08:00:52 AM »
Should I not be moving the table intuitively in the direction I want to jog it
You can follow whatever convention you want, BUT if you don't follow the 'controlled point' convention you will have endless hiccups with other SW. Been there, done that, forced myself to change.
Think what happens when you are running a router or a gantry mill over a STATIC table. You can NOT jog the table. You can only move the controlled point. That convention ALWAYS works.

Up to you.
Cheers
Roger

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »
OK. I get that. What other SW do you use? I have built a prototyping cnc mill as an inventor/amateur scientist. I suppose it would not be out of line to create a screen set for manual milling and drive the table to the work for quick and dirty mills?

But I def. get what you are saying about the control point. Makes perfect sense to me.

Any ideas on why my direction involuntarily flipped?

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »
In retrospect, I think you are right. Control point jogging at all times to be consistent will be my policy.
thanks for the advice

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 06:09:11 PM »
Hi GenX

Happy to be of assistance.

I use AutoSketch for most of my design work. It's only 2D, but it is very fast and very intuitive. I have several full 3D packages CAD which i can use, but frankly they are a real pain. For programming ... Notepad! But I have been programming for the last 50 years (honest), and g-code is just another language for me.

As to the direction flip ... sorry, no ideas, except that Mach3 is known to occasionally corrupt the master control XML file. But it makes backups in a special folder. You can always try restoring an earlier version.

Cheers
Roger Caffin (PhD)
Retired research scientist - and having lots of fun

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
I have recently switched to Autodesk's: Fusion360.
It is free for startups who make <$100K/yr or free for hobbiests.

2D
3D
Animation/motion
CAM

In one package. I love it!

What research did you retire from?

I am attempting to mill out a small plasma chamber to study a few ION experiments I have lined up.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »
BSc (Hons) Physics
MSc (Physics)
PhD (Systems and automation)
27 yrs gov't research scientist, measurement science, computing, image analysis, robotics
15 yrs independent consultant reseach scientist, measurement science, image analysis, etc

Plama chamber? Ion expts? Tell me more!

Cheers
Roger

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
Very interesting resume'.

I am a humble amateur, but I have a few ideas involving the manipulation of atoms and processing them for LENR (Low energy Nuc reaction) involving group 10 elements and Hydrogen and Oxygen.
This certainly gives ME energy reactions at night and on the weekends!

Cool times we live in now. We are going through a renaissance and few can be bothered about it.

I am tweaking/dialing in my mill and trying to understand Mach 3. I have to say it is a pretty sophisticated program for it's time indeed. Too bad XP is end of life. I tried to get Mach 4 to run on my windows 7 64bit puter with ESS smoothstepper but ran into problems.