Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:35:40 AM

Author Topic: Can’t get Probe to Work  (Read 18449 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t get Probe to Work
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
Sorry stirling but got to go out for 30 min. Tell me what you want and when I return I will do it
Nicolas

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »
Then you've done it wrong. Go back to post #55 above and repeat.

if this worked - which you say it did

pin15 ------------ wire --------------- GND

then

pin15 ------------ wire --------- plate touching clip -------- wire ---------- GND

has to work also - THINK about it - don't just follow along blindly - ALL you're doing is making a circuit between pin15 and GROUND.

touch clip to plate - LED lights

remove clip from plate - LED goes out.

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR PLATE IS INSULATED FROM GROUND IN SOME WAY. IF NOT STICK A PIECE OF WOOD UNDER IT.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:59:07 AM by stirling »

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »
Yes in post #55 what I did I left the LED light ALWAYS ON and what is happening now the LED is ON regardless if I touch the clip to the plate. Is this what you want?
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
The top of the cnc is wood. The plate / clip are connected to a DB9 connector. From the panel black and red wires are going to the female part of the DB9 and the male part is connected to clip and plate. I will now check if the wires inside the DB9's are ok
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »
The DB9 connectors are ok. Black wire from the panel is connected to the clip and red to the touch plate
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »
I don’t know what happened but to test my DB9 connectors I shut down the PC and power to the control panel to avoid any short-circuit. When I restored power the red wire was still on pin 15 and black wire on GND. The LED was OFF in the diagnostic screen and touching the clip to the plate went ON

Did that 3 times and then the LED went ON and stayed ON. So I decided to remove the DB9 connectors and solder to wires to have a direct connection between the panel and clip / plate.

Touching the clip now to the plate a dozen times the LED always comes ON and stays OFF when the clip is not touching the plate.
Nicolas

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »
DB connectors are a pain in the wotsit, very close pin spacing and close to shell (if metal) it was probably a single loose strand of wire touching the shell.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »
I know they are PITA but when I installed them I checked continuity from the panel to clip / plate + from the two DB9 shells and all was good. Now I learned my lesson and will never use again
Nicolas

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
If I ever use multi pin connectors, I always slip a short length of heat shrink tube on the wires first and after soldering wires simply slip it down over the soldered joint and the pin,  stops any stray strands causing bother!

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »
Now that I removed the DB9 connectors and my black / red wires are connected straight thru from panel to clip / touch plate I thought it’s time to give a new try.

Went back to the original Mach3 setup (put pull-up/down jumper back to pins 1 and 2, re connect the Estop and all limits) and using the same wiring setup as per my 1st post (black to 5V with a 120 Ohms resistor, red to pin 15) I get the following

Active Low setting (Green)
LED light on Diagnostic screen is ON
When I touch the clip to the Chuck LED remains ON but when I touch the plate to the bit LED goes out
Volts = 5.12 but with the red meter tip to clip and the black meter tip to the plate. Otherwise I get a negative reading

Active High setting (Red)
LED light on Diagnostic screen is OFF
Volts = 5.12 but reversed as above (red meter tip to clip and black meter tip to the plate)

Nothing else was done because I don’t understand the meaning of the above

I’m sorry stirling for all the time you wasted but as I mentioned, in my mind the wiring was good as per my continuity test when I installed the black / red wires
Nicolas