Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:18:03 AM

Author Topic: Can’t get Probe to Work  (Read 18448 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Can’t get Probe to Work
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
Using a C10 BOB and pins 15 / 5V when I click the auto zero button on Mach3 my probe goes up 2” and then it stops.

The alligator clip is connected with a black wire to 5V pin with a 120 Ohms 1/4 Watt resistor between the clip and the 5V pin. The touch 3/8” aluminum plate is connected with a red wire to pin 15. In the ports & pins settings the probe uses pin 15 and the Active Low has a red X setting.

If I switch the wires, black to pin 15 and red to 5V, when I touch the plate to the router I get an Estop warning.

The C10 jumper for pins 10 to 15 is set to pull-down (pins 1-2) and everything is working well except for the probe. If I set them to pull-up my Estop does not work

The script I copy from the web is
Message( "Auto Zeroing..." )
If IsSuchSignal (22) Then
code "G31 Z-2 F20"
While IsMoving()
Wend
Call SetDRO( 2, .375 )
code "G1 Z1"
End If

What is wrong?
Nicolas

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Can’t get Probe to Work
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 11:21:12 AM »
What is wrong?

I'm afraid your wiring is incorrect and that code is rubbish.

Is this a mill or a router? (i.e. metal base or wood spoil board).

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »
Thanks stirling for the help, its an all aluminum consruction cnc router as per attached
Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:24:18 PM »
Does the probe LED light up when you touch the plate? You need to make sure that works first before running any script.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:42:45 PM »
That’s the first place I should have looked Gerry but never thought about it.

The only light ON in the diagnostic screen is the Enable1. I turned that ON because my motors were not working when I started my cnc a few days back and I thought that it must be ON. I had to call Keling for help to get my motors working and now they are working and when I jog any axis there in no light ON. I thought all axes lights should be ON

When I press the Estop the light comes ON and when I touch the alligator clip to the touch plate the green light comes ON
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »
BTW I would like to mention that I have used the C10 BOB before and never had to do any changes on the jumpers because it work. This time I was told to change the jumper for pins 2-9 (outputs) from pull-down to pull-up.

Perhaps that’s why I don’t have the motor lights on the Diagnostic screen?
Nicolas

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 04:17:45 AM »
So just to be clear: if you touch the clip to the plate - you get a light?
If you connect the clip to the tool and touch that to the plate you don't get a light?

If that's the case (which I think it is) then as I said, your wiring's incorrect.

Why? - because unless your spindle has ceramic bearings (and even if it had) your tool is likely at ground potential.

connecting ground to an active high plate is not going to activate it.

The problem is that (according to your data sheet) pin15 is a "dedicated" input (page 7) with a fixed pull-down resistor. This means pin15 HAS to be set active high. That means that to work - your tool HAS to be insulated from ground. This is a really bad way to do this.

Use one of the configurable inputs (2-9) and set pullup and set it to active low. Then get rid of the 120R resistor and connect your clip to ground. Clip it on the tool and test by touching the TOOL to the plate.

THEN we'll deal with that useless code.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:14:57 AM by stirling »

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 07:24:56 AM »
You are right stirling, connecting the clip to the tool and touch the tool with the plate I get no light.

We have -16C here and just turned up the heat in my garage, in about 1 hour I will go and change the wiring to what you said and will report the results

Thank you
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
I was suspecting the results to be as I describe below but I had to do it

I disconnected the 2 wires from pins 15 / 5V removed the resistor and connected the red wire to pin 8 and the black to COM.

In the Mach3 settings changed the pin to 8 and active low red. Went to the diagnostic screen and touching the clip to a bolt near the tool the Estop lights up plus the 3 motors lights comes ON temporarily. Changing the Active low to green the results are the same

I think the reason is that the jumper for pins 2-9 has been changed from pull-down to pull-up. This happened last week when I first started the machine and my motors were dead and Keling told me to change this pin setting plus some dip switches on the motor drivers. Somehow I believe the pins 2-9 setting should be changed back to pull-down
Nicolas

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 09:51:21 AM »
time to post your xml please kolias