Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:43:29 AM

Author Topic: Limit switch issues  (Read 38245 times)

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Limit switch issues
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2015, 05:04:06 AM »
Simple innit..................Work through it slowly and methodically, one step at a time, take pictures or make drawings of bits you are going to alter so if it is wrong you can put it back to how it was, check, check and check again and if you are unsure double check......................good luck with it, will catch up later.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2015, 06:08:39 AM »
One thing is for certain, once you have gained the know-how of the guts of your table, you will enjoy using it 100% more :)

Any pictures of it? It sounds like you were unfortunate to buy a machine more suited to an experienced builder than a user, but  overall it's a simple system and if you are woodworking/routing? at least you don't have to sort out RF shielding and grounding too :(

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2015, 06:11:23 AM »
If you're interested, I can explain

a) Why, after a limit has been hit, there is good reason why Mach3 allows a careless user to jog or move further onto the tripped limit.
b) why, it is a perfectly reasonable option to have a machine set to home to back left rather than front left.
c) why you most likely don't need to re-wire anything or move any switches on your machine and yet still have it do whatever you like.
d) last and probably least, why the ftp links in this thread are "dead".
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2015, 06:55:02 AM »

a) Why, after a limit has been hit, there is good reason why Mach3 allows a careless user to jog or move further onto the tripped limit.
b) why, it is a perfectly reasonable option to have a machine set to home to back left rather than front left.
c) why you most likely don't need to re-wire anything or move any switches on your machine and yet still have it do whatever you like.

sure go ahead...
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2015, 06:58:03 AM »
btw: I just enabled my limit switches, and home switches...now my x axis tries to home to the right (+ side) instead of the home switch on the left (- side) and it doesn't trip the limit switch when it does, it just grinds into the rail.....

when I reverse the homing, then when I jog to the plus, (right) it goes left and vice versa....

I get the abnormal condition light flashing and on the DROs it says my "head" is at -51 inches on a 24" table

btw, I disabled the e stop, on pin 10 due to the conflict..clicked ok....went back, it was selected again......ayup, Mach3 is easy...easy as tuning a bugatti veyron w10 lol.....

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:01:06 AM by MuskokaMike »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2015, 07:24:23 AM »
You can't disable the Estop, or Mach3 will not run. Just set it to any unused input pin number, and toggle the active low setting if it doesn't let you reset.

btw: I just enabled my limit switches, and home switches...now my x axis tries to home to the right (+ side) instead of the home switch on the left (- side) and it doesn't trip the limit switch when it does, it just grinds into the rail.....

when I reverse the homing, then when I jog to the plus, (right) it goes left and vice versa....

I get the abnormal condition light flashing and on the DROs it says my "head" is at -51 inches on a 24" table

This is what happens when you change too many things at one time.

First, you get the machine to move in the correct direction. If you jog to the right, do the DRO's count up (increase). If so, then Mach3 is correct. But if the machine is moving left, go to Config > Homing/Limits and check the reverse box to change direction.
Once it moves in the correct direction, then home the X axis. If it moves the wrong way, toggle the "Home Neg" setting.

Disregard the Abnormal Condition. It's the absolutely worst feature in Mach3.  When everything is working the way you want it to, go to the Operator menu, and click "Set Normal Condition". Even better is to remove it from the screen with a screen editor.

There's nothing wrong with the X home switch at the positive end of travel. I have mine setup that way, so that when the machine homes, the gantry is clear of the table so I can setup my parts.
What you want to do, though, is go to Config > Homing/Limits and enter the actual switch position in the Home Offset box. This value is what mach3 sets the DRO's to when you home. So, if you set it to 45, your X zero will be at the left end of the table. When you home, the X DRO will be set to 45.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »

sure go ahead...

a) Mach3 was designed to be fully functional with just ONE parallel port. It therefore has just 5 inputs. With just ONE input you can have fully functional limit protection AND homing.

How many inputs do you suppose you'd have to sacrifice just in order for Mach3 to prevent a careless user from jogging the wrong way after a limit trip?

b) Using a 3 axis setup as an example, home does not have to be 0,0,0. It can be any coordinate you like. Having it at the back means on an X gantry machine the gantry is not obscuring the table.

c) Limits can be wired series where they use just one input or in parallel where they can use as many inputs as you have switches if you so choose. Is there any point in the latter? absolutely none. Functionality will be identical.

However you can also use some of those switches to double as homing switches. If you stick with series, all will work just fine but homing will be done sequentially. If you wire parallel then you can choose to set up so axes home concurrently.

d) ftp links do not start with http.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »

The problem here is that this forums messes up ftp links.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »
trying to add as an attachment

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »

The problem here is that this forums messes up ftp links.

How so?

machsupport.com/Docs/Mach3%20Setup%20Tutorial.pdf
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:34:29 AM by stirling »