Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:45:15 AM

Author Topic: Limit switch issues  (Read 38273 times)

Re: Limit switch issues
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2015, 08:35:29 PM »
haha let's hope it's the beginning of the end!

Here's the switch info

E21-00A0 Cherry Electric Prod Corp

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/datasheet/e2100a0.aspx?p=45276648

The white wires are the limit switch wires...can't really tell which one is which unless I undo all the wire covers etc....looks like red is connected to 5V on the input sections of the parallel interface card.....

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »
It is a bit difficult to see (not complaining about your photography, honestly) but normally the switches are wired in series so only one cable should be there, it looks like they are wired in parallel so you would need 4 inputs to monitor your switches. If this is not set up in Mach3 correctly, then you will have problems.  It would be really good if you can get hold of the actual electrical schematic for it, or is that a no go?
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
yeah getting a schematic is a no go....but I can tell you it does appear that they are in parallel, series they'd be all connected together in a chain (one positive to another neg and so on) they are all connected independently to the board...

The ONLy way they could be in series is if you can "program" the board to run them in series with dip switches or jumpers.....I'll go back to the shop and look....

edit: no jumpers to control those pins...and I will correct myself: they "could" be wired in series if the printed circuit on the back of the board wired the individual terminals that way.....but I highly doubt that that would be the case....this would make it impossible to wire them in parallel if so desired.....they can easily be wired in series simply by wiring them together THEN attaching them to the terminals, but not the other way around....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:01:29 PM by MuskokaMike »

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
Would be good to get details of the board for further investigation/set up, we can then see on the internet its pinout.

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2015, 09:35:18 PM »
You should end up with something like this. But we do need the info on the board just to make certain.
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2015, 01:29:27 AM »
yeah that's how I thought you'd wire them in series....now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you trip one of the limit switches, won't that stop the stepper motors on all axis? or can you control that via mach3?

edit: Ok, I get it now...doh....as a limit switch, you DO want all axis to cease immediately.....

Now, with the switches wired to pin 10 in series, to stop all motion when the limit is reached...how or can you set them up as homing switches? So if I get this right, you can set them ALSO as homing switches so that when you hit "ref all home" it will reach home on z...then back off x amount of the switch...then reach home on x...then back off x amount ....then reach home on y...then back off x amount...with x amount being the amount you set in the homing limits....right?

Now when you ask for info on the board, you're referring to the parallel interface card right?

This is the card on ebay, I've got the complete model number off the photo so I'll google it and see what I can come up with...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Parallel-Port-Interface-Card-C10-CNC-for-MACH3-etc-/272027167798?hash=item3f56152c36:g:OaQAAOSwQTVV-dh-

edit:

here is the info on the board from motiontek:

http://www.motiontek.ca/breakoutboard.html

(second one down)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:46:11 AM by MuskokaMike »

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2015, 02:47:27 AM »
Try not to get confused, these are both homing AND limit switches. In the homing sequence you are correct, each axis 'homes' itself and backs of by x, now x has no set value, all Mach3 does is monitor the pin 10 state until it sees the circuit made i,e, the axis has come off the switch. Now during normal operation Mach3 will see the 'homing' switches as limit switches and thus if actuated stops the machine in an out of range state and requires the operator to bring the machine out of that state by manually jogging the effected axis back in range, the same goes for the soft limits which are set up in Mach3 via a numeric value to allow full travel of each axis, this is set up by you when you set the homing limits etc as described in the dreaded manual.

I will try and have a quick look at the board but I have just finished a night shift and have to have a few hours kip before I go to my Mother in laws for new year.

You are getting there, don't forget to read and re read that dreaded manual copy and paste this into your browser (google chrome), page 14   ftp://machsupport.com/Docs/Mach3%20Setup%20Tutorial.pdf

Heaven knows why that link doesn't work, but type in Mach3 tutorial pdf, look for smaller version, not the full blown one.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 02:53:18 AM by bfgstew »

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2015, 02:55:35 AM »
The breakout board/parallel port board looks fine, just follow the instructions in the pdf and you should start to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Off for some shut eye.
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2015, 02:57:05 AM »
mother in law? for new years? I'd rather read the mach 3 manual lol

that's a dead link again.....

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2015, 03:00:09 AM »
Yes I don't understand it, but as I said just type in google - mach3 tutorial pdf select the one that has the title mach3 tutorial not the one that has mach3 as manual, it is only 16 pages and is concise and clear.