Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:44:54 AM

Author Topic: Limit switch issues  (Read 38229 times)

Re: Limit switch issues
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 10:40:51 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you had no idea of what you are doing and it does not seem that you want to make the effort to learn. Many thousands HAVE made the effort and now enjoy a really cool hobby.

Did you REALLY believe the sales hipe of plug in plug and professional sales people????  Here is a hint NOT everything on the internet is the truth. There are just as many shysters on it as there were 100 years ago in any other sales market.

AND Mach3 DOES have a recent file list (;-).

BTW: I've been trying for 6 years to "learn" and before you get all up in my face about not being able to "learn" as I've said, I've taught myself autocad (started with release 2), coreldraw, 3d studio, vectric aspire, mastercam, and about 1000 other applications....I was using computers when 4 mb of memory was HUGE and a 20 mb hard drive was the norm...and built them from scratch then too.....but you know the difference? Most of those applications were written with the USER in mind....you know, to make it EASIER for the USER to learn.....and you know something BIG? Autocad evolved...and their help files stopped using "jargon" so now when you do a search when you have a problem, you can find the answer and it is written in plain english.....
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 02:07:23 AM »
Ok, I watched the video as suggested by one of the other posters which tried to explain the difference between machine coordinates and work coordinates (I think they call it work offsets for some reason).

I when into my homing limits as the video stated and no matter what I typed in, they didn't relate to the table view on the program run screen...my machine is 24 x 48 and I typed in zero as one parameter and 24 as the other for x....the table view showed it as a negative size totally unrelated to the numbers I typed in. And no, it wasn't metric because the size shown wasn't even CLOSE to 24 mm or 24 cm....so I reversed the values and again, it was totally unrelated to the actual size of the table.

In addition, I set the Z axis values...again, as was instructed, I set the zero at the top by the homing switch, and 7 1/2" at the bottom had no effect.

As indicated in the video the ONLY way to change or set machine co-ordinates is to ref all home....when I do that z zeros to the top (sets off the homing switch) then the Y starts to home, and instead of it travelling 49" to the other end, I stop it, then the Z rams itself into the top of the axis trying to move the z axis to the top of my house...instead of allowing it to destroy my machine, I hit the e stop.....

When setting the parameters in the homing limits, it states "values are in the setting units" how do you determine what the settings units are? The ONLY place I can see where units are discussed is under config and native units but this says it only applies to motor tuning.....

btw: I checked the limit switches, they all light up the LED in the diagnostics screen....

Under engine config, ports and pins, the column "active low" are all x'd out...the video says "this isn't good" but I am lax to change it because if it has anything to do with wiring, this could cause some burning/shorting and I can't afford to have my machine go down while I replace electronics.....so can anyone confirm if switching these to "yes" will or will not cause any physical damage?
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 02:19:38 AM »
btw: I updated to the current version and I STILL don't have a recently used file list...so I'd really like to know how one obtains this basic feature.....
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 02:36:47 AM »
btw: just want to point out: you all can go over to this thread and ream the guy for not learning the software...

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24597.0.html

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2015, 07:14:39 AM »
Lets get back to the point, this is getting you or us nowhere, bitching helps no one, end of!

You have a problem with your ref home, how are your limit switches wired up, are they mounted correctly, what type of limit switch are they. Give good details and we can start to get somewhere.
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 08:46:54 AM »
Lets get back to the point, this is getting you or us nowhere, bitching helps no one, end of!

You have a problem with your ref home, how are your limit switches wired up, are they mounted correctly, what type of limit switch are they. Give good details and we can start to get somewhere.

I have no idea how they are wired and what make they are....I probably can see if there's any info on the side of one, but how would one go about determining how they are wired? I guess I could take the cover off the control box, and take a picture of how they are connected to whatever inside....

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »
limit switches need to be wired in series, Mach3 will, when set up correctly, monitor the pin that they are wired to and see which one has been activated, it normally goes Z axis first, then backs off the switch until it is off it, then the X axis, backs off until its off, the Y axis until it is off - all axis in home position. In normal operation with soft limits set up correctly Mach3 monitors the pin and sees if any of the limits has been reached (either mechanically with the limit switches or numerically with the soft limits). It is explained in the link I posted earlier, please read it again, please check your machine, post back with pictures to show how it is set up, also post screen shots of your config pages of Mach3 to check all is set up correctly.
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 09:08:31 AM »
ftp://machsupport.com/Docs/Mach3%20Setup%20Tutorial.pdf Read this, this is all I read to get me up and running.

is this the post you're referring to? that's a dead link.....

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »
Just found that out, sorry about that. Google - Mach3 tutorial PDF, should be the second one down.

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »