Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:04:34 AM

Author Topic: Steppers and machine sounds bad, but not when rotating the toolpath  (Read 7835 times)

Re: Steppers and machine sounds bad, but not when rotating the toolpath
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
Okay I have:

Reinstalled to 0.62 - no change.
Changed the parallel port to EPP in BIOS - no change

I'll keep an eye on that other thread

Really banging my head against the wall with this!

Thanks for the help
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »
No problem sorry I could not help.

If you have a look in the mach3 installation and setup manual, it details a programme within the mach3 folder that is used to test the speed of a machine, it may be worth running it just to see what comes back.

It doesn't do any loop tests or anything on the parallel port but it may be worth a check.

Presume you've cleaned out all your temp files with something like ccleaner so that is done.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
Are you referring to the DriverTest.exe? It is in the Mach3 folder.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 02:20:42 PM »
Think that's the one its suppose to test the capabilities of the PC and printer port for clock cycle / loop load.

(Never used it... I run a smooth stepper, if you just had one basic machine I'd recommend a uc100)
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 03:38:12 PM »
When I run the DriverTest.exe file I get a "System Excellent" with only ever 5 spikes on the line max.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Steppers and machine sounds bad, but not when rotating the toolpath
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
Oddly enough I always get a system excellent result. Even on a computer that make my steppers stall.
I just posted a thread in regards to that test and what to make of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »
Hi andythepandy93,
I can only think of one explanation of the problem you report. The odd/poor sounding of the steppers must come from losing steps or
velocity/accelerations set higher than the steppers can physically handle, maybe heavy load on the table or similar.
When you rotate the axes now both steppers are operating and the load is shared between them. If you rotated by 45 degrees they would
share equally. Ten steps in X and ten steps in Y results in 14.4 'steps' along the new axis...
Could you try an axis rotation of 90 degrees so effectively x becomes y and y becomes x. If my theory about load sharing is correct then
your reported problem should recur. Would give some proof without to much shagging around.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
When I say rotate the axes, I mean rotate the 3D view of the gcode that is displayed in the program, not actually changing the coordinate axes of the model I'm cutting.

So when I jog in just the X axes, it makes a rough sound until I leftclick with the mouse and rotate the toolpath when it becomes smooths. As soon as I let go it's rough again
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
How much ram have you got?
Rob

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »
2x1GB sticks