Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:02:10 AM

Author Topic: Problem with my X & Y  (Read 13389 times)

Offline Herri

•  19 19
    • View Profile
Problem with my X & Y
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »
I seem to have a problem with my X & Y axis. Although I have been cutting small pieces of ply I didn’t notice a problem until recently.

It seems as if my X & Y are the wrong way round.
The home position is shown in the attachment
The Y is the longest part of my table and the X is the shortest ie width.

When I press the UP arrow the Y axis moves along the longest part of the table and the SIDE arrows, the X axis; width of the table.

When I look at the window in Mach3 and press Start, the cutter moves to the right in the window but to the left on the table.
The height is the width and vica versa.
Its as if my table is turned by 90 degrees.

The attachments show this:
In CAD the drawing is correct. When I come to cut, left is now right. I can of course turn the piece over when it is finished but there must be another way.

If I change the pins in the Motor Output settings, I reverse the X & Y but then the mechanical stops are at the wrong sides.

I am totally confused – anybody know what I am doing wrong
Thanks
David

Offline Herri

•  19 19
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with my X & Y
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
I can't seem to attach anymore images
I get the message :image already in use'
What I am doing wrong? ???

Offline Herri

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »
Here are the images
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »
Go into Mach3 >> config >> ports & pins >> motor outputs tab >> X axis, and change the "dir active low" to whatever the opposite of what it is now. and that should sort it out ...

... note the longest part will still be your Y axis and the shortest travel will still be your X axis... but it will cut the part the right way around.

Alternatively ..... If you want the longest travel axis to be your X axis and the shortest travel  axis to be your Y axis, swap the pins over (but you will still need to flip the X axis "dir active low" status from whatever you have set now.

(you will also need to change the Slave Axis setting too >>> Config >>> Slave Axis if you have a slaved axis on your present Y (longest travel axis).

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:41:34 AM »
There are always exceptions but it is usual to configure a machine’s axes with relation to the position in which the operator will stand.
The axis moving left – right being the X axis and the axis moving toward – away being the Y axis.
The physical direction of each axis is defined in Mach3 according to the direction the tool moves over the work.
The tool movement to the right of the work is +X
The tool movement to the left of the work is -X
The tool movement to the back of the work is +Y
The tool movement to the front of the work is –Y
And just for completeness…
The Z axis movement with tool moving away from work is +Z
The Z axis movement with tool moving towards the work is –Z
And X0 , Y0 is in the front left hand corner.

Please check out the Mach3 Manual for more details. http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:44:01 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Herri

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I just see it wrong. I have spent all day today playing with the settings as suggested.
I do understand it all better but not altogether. If you look at my first image. My table is at its home position. The machine coordinates read zero. X increases as it moves away and Y increases as it moves right.
If I reverse the X axis, the mechanical stop is at the wrong end. That is the way the machine should be built according to the instructions.
Look at the two other images. When I convert a CAD file to CAM, the item looks the same (left-right etc) When I open the file in Mach3 and look at the tool path window, its still the same.
I move the cutter to the wood, then zero the 3 axis. I then recalulate the tool path.
When I start cutting, the cutter moves off in the opposite direction as in the window. The zero corner is bottom left in the window but bottom right on the machine in relation to the work piece. This means the piece is cut from the back and needs turning over when cut.
Maybe this is how it is with everyone, as I suppose its not a problem to turn the wood (in my case) over.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 11:28:29 AM »
Reverse the x axis direction AND swap the axis step and direction pins and it should be right.

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Herri

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »
If I do that, the X homes to the other side, where there is no switch.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 01:13:11 PM »
Let's start at the beginning...

If you flip / switch the dir state only for the x axis it will try to home to the top of the short axis (looking at your photo above, say the top of the photo, but the Y will remain at the left hand side)

Now switch the pins for each axis, so that the pins for Y become x both dir and step)

Now when you home the machine, the Y axis should go to the left hand side (given it was at the top), but the x axis will go to the top (given it was at the left hand side).

Now flip the dir pin for the x axis (that was the Y axis)

And it should home to the bottom left hand side.

Did it work?
Rob

Offline Herri

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »
Afraid not. It still tries to home at the top (no switch)