Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Problem with my X & Y  (Read 13390 times)

Re: Problem with my X & Y
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2015, 04:38:32 PM »
what CAM software are you using?

(to answer one of your earlier questions, no I don't have a stepcraft... I've a home built plasma, with a few other bits .... needed to be able to be packed away and assembled on demand, and I'm awaiting a 3040 frame kit to arrive for some PCB / aluminium work). 

What materials are you cutting & what are you making?

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Herri

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 05:11:56 PM »
I am using DEVCAdCam as I am into RC model aircraft.
I have been cutting Lite Ply upto now and intend to be cutting up to 8mm ply.
Possibly, I will also try some thin alu.
I am buidling a quite large glider tug. 2.70m wingspan with a 62cc petrol engine.
David

Offline Herri

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »
Whats the advantage of cutting with plasma? Is it justthe possible thickness?
What will you build?
David
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »
Wow that's a big glider!.... Never heard of DEVCAd but the website looks interesting.

Plasma is for steel, aluminium, stainless ... basically anything metallic (I've heard of glass being cut too... but never tried it [not likley to])  Not my machine... but very similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyhV4oLOHEg  

I have a small plasma and can cut up to 6mm plate... but I'm looking to upgrade a little maybe in the future (speed of cut + quality of cut with a newer machine).

I have an expensive hobby with Landrovers (I've ended up with my own R&D department... haha), so am keen to build my own parts, given every time I ask someone to make me something (or build something) I don't end up with what I asked for.... trust no one believe nothing (I use CAD for a living to drawing is easy for me... the thing that always took the time was the making of the parts and getting alignment etc... now I go from idea to part in minutes all welded up and complete)

I use sheetcam http://www.sheetcam.com/ ... which you can use for all other manor of things (not just plasma)... basically all you need is a drawing and import that.... the only thing is it does not do 3D only flat objects (there is a 4th Axis option but that is only for plasma).

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”