Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:03:03 AM

Author Topic: Problem with z axis cut  (Read 5975 times)

Re: Problem with z axis cut
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
Version R3.043.066

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
Whilst Leafboy say that their product supports R3.043.066 there have been issues reported here on the forum which would indicate otherwise.
In addition to the things I have mentioned perhaps reverting back to an earlier version of Mach3 may also be a prudent move (earlier versions can be found in ftp downloads http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 10:19:20 AM »
OK thanks, any suggestions as to which version please?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »
We all seem to have our own personal choice but I use R3.043.056 if that's any help.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
Cheers, I will try that with the mods you suggested to kernel and accelleratiuon, but not ports and pins I guess ?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »
OK, I installed the older version of mach3 with the suggested modifications.

I produced a series of test squares to cut using different tools to see what would happen, code attached.

These are simple squares, cut with an engraving tool for the fist 3 using code generated by Aspire in Vcarve, profile and pocket options without the 'display on 3d model' selected, the second 3 with that option selected, all set to 1mm depth of cut by Aspire. The third set of 3 use the same Aspire options but with a 2mm ball nose tool.

The results were interesting and confusing.

The first 3 cut to 1.80mm deep, the second 3 to , 2.10 mm and the 3rd set to3.46 !  I then changed the tool to a 4mm mill and using the code from the ball end setup and ran that, these cut to 2.18mm deep.

I had manually set the depth z=0 so it was not an issue with the auto zero tool, I also checked the calibration in the approved method and all was spot on.  ( the x and y axis cuts were precise)

Then, just when I thought I could not get more confused  :-[   I set the 4mm end mill to z=0 dropped the depth using Mach3 to 1mm and simply ran a straight line cut by jogging the x axis across, it cut to 1mm deep. So it would appear that the Mach3 is working correctly  (??)

I have to say I did not notice any difference in the performance with the changes made to the Mach3 version or the suggested modifications to kernel speed etc. but this was a very simple set of code and perhaps it would be more stable on more complex cuts.

As a self-confessed ignoramus on these matters I am totally baffled, why, when the code shows -1mm Z in all cases, should it cut differently in the different examples when the calibration would appear to be OK.

I am saving the files from Aspire in what I think is the correct format,  Mach2/3 Arcs (mm) (*.txt), and as the x and y are correct I can't be that far out, can I ??

I even installed Mach3 on a different, more powerful computer, just in case that was a problem source, but the results were the same.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:48:08 AM by Ducman56 »
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »
I ran a series of tests today using a very simple square cut calculated from Aspire, see attached file.

Following advice from the Aspire forum, I changed line N10 in 2 ways ,  once I changed the G43 to G49 and the H1 to H0, then I removed the G43 and the H completely.

I ran the test  cut 3 times, as generated, with g49 H0, and without G43  h

There was no appreciable difference in the cut depths, which were all +-1mm   :)  as required, I ten ran the logo file which I had first noticed the problem on, and it also was correct.

i think the reversion to the earlier Mach3 must have done the trick, I did check the version which came with the machine, which I did not use because it was a cracked copy, I just went ahead and bought a real one and downloaded the latest version when I bough it, the original one was 3.043.056, do you think I should revert to that?  or leave it as is because it appears to be working OK now?

Thanks again to all for your inputs, most valued  :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 02:18:14 AM »
the original one was 3.043.056, do you think I should revert to that?  or leave it as is because it appears to be working OK now?

Leave it as it is (If it ain't broke don't fix it)  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE