Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:32:53 PM

Author Topic: Safe Z code in aspire ,mach3 or me  (Read 6777 times)

Safe Z code in aspire ,mach3 or me
« on: September 08, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »
First thanks for looking at my problem
I have a test file similar to the shape I want to make in Aspire, it shows great in the preview but when I choose the post processor of mach3.arc,inch,text and output a g code file I get the error of "safe z is 0<= press ok to continue or cancel. here is what I have done.

1. new computer old one crashed and I did't back up the files needed to put back into cambam,mach3 or aspire. so it's all new.
2. I'm about as rookie as you can get with the new aspire program. (actually with them all really)
3. I was running everything on the old machine and everything was working correctly, so it is probable me that has not setup things correctly.
4. I have tuned the motors and set up a general config section. so when I say cut a 1 inch circle or square it does come out to 1 inch square or circle. Wait for tool change (and for operator to remember to re zero new tool,who does forget but not lately ::))
when I press ok  for the error (cancel goes into reset mode) the spindle goes straight down till I hit the E stop.
I have mach3 setup to stop until I hit the start again for tool changes and a safe Z of .5 height. this worked exactly like it's supposed when I shoot over a Cambam file to Mach3 on the old machine but not the new one. So I'm just covering my bases in checking out my potential problems in mach 3 (or things I have not set up since it's a new setup in a new computer)
I have the gecko g540 with .25 shaft steppers and the XML from cncrouter parts downloaded and installed, everything seems to be working okay. I have not tried my saved older g code on the machine yet but I will be by  the tenth when  I get back home.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:22:38 PM by keastab »
Re: Safe Z code in aspire ,mach3 or me
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
I'm a little confused with the exact problem. You are talking about a couple of different problems and software. Is this a Aspire or Cambam problem? Then saying that you are selecting Mach3.arc, inch and doing a tool change?

The txt file lists tool #4 & #16. For more than one tool in an Aspire file you must select Mach3.ATC,inch. Aspire won't let you select Mach3.arc,inch to output a gcode file if there are two different tool numbers. 

Sounds like the second tool is not being zeroed correctly to the fixed zero reference.     

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
I'm a little confused with the exact problem. You are talking about a couple of different problems and software. Is this a Aspire or Cambam problem? Then saying that you are selecting Mach3.arc, inch and doing a tool change?

The txt file lists tool #4 & #16. For more than one tool in an Aspire file you must select Mach3.ATC,inch. Aspire won't let you select Mach3.arc,inch to output a gcode file if there are two different tool numbers.  

Sounds like the second tool is not being zeroed correctly to the fixed zero reference.    

ok here goes.  yes I did the ATC for mach3 setup in aspire but it was mach3 (really  it was me not configuring it right) settings that as a problem.
Update;;;; I found an old G540 xml file that I had used on a (super OLD compaq) laptop with a printer port, and was able to power it up and get the file off. it works!

now
with the fresh loaded file , not from the laptop.
I can load an aspire file into mach3 or a cambam file into mach3. I get the same error on either file
since it was a new computer and the old hd files were unrecoverable I started out fresh with all the programs. I figured that it had to be in the settings that I had put in.
#4 tool is an endmill .25 I think and #16 is a v-bit to make my slanted slot to a flat depth of 3/8" yes they are configured in cambam and aspire.

With the old laptop file
well it works so I'm sure I screwed up the fresh setup.
since I did find an old backup of mach3 on a compaq laptop HD drive and will compare it with what I have now.
I know that the g540 setup is the original Xml file I can load the old one and the new one to compare and WRITE down the changes ,I do not want to have to fight this again unless I have to. GAH!!!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 03:59:40 PM »
Do you have any tool lengths in your tool table? If so, try setting all lengths to 0.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »
Is your safe z in Mach set to work coordinates or machine coordinates?

Steve
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
Do you have any tool lengths in your tool table? If so, try setting all lengths to 0.

Bowber
 the safe z is in  machine coordinates

Ger21
no no lengths set that I know of I can double check in mach3 and Aspire. Cambam is a fresh install and has no tool length setting in there, I did look at that in Cambam.
I will go into aspire and see if anything is in there.

is there any way to print out the settings in mach3?
thanks

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 05:46:27 PM »
I'm talking about tool lengths in Mach3
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
I'm talking about tool lengths in Mach3

when I go into the tool table in  Mach3 all the tables are zero'd out  no tool length at all
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »
I'm still confused because you are intermixing Aspire and Cambam. The txt file you posted is Aspire and looks ok. As a matter of fact... I loaded it on my machine without problems.

I use Aspire exclusively, Mach 3 v0.62, screenset 2010 with a Gecko G540, ESS all on a old Dell 6400 running xp pro and never had any problems. I will say the generic G540 XML from Gecko's website needs to be modified for each specific machine setup. Especially the step direction and limit switch active state.  

Sounds like your XML setup is corrupt or just plain wrong.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:05:02 PM by geh7552 »
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:01:36 PM »
I'm still confused because you are intermixing Aspire and Cambam. The txt file you posted is Aspire and looks ok. As a matter of fact... I loaded it on my machine without problems.

I use Aspire exclusively, Mach 3 v0.62, screenset 2010 with a Gecko G540, ESS all on a old Dell 6400 running xp pro and never had any problems. I will say the generic G540 XML from Gecko's website needs to be modified for each specific machine setup. Especially the step direction and limit switch active state. 

Sounds like your XML setup is corrupt or just plain wrong.

I'm pretty much shooting for the "user error" for the wrong part,since I'm the user. it's been 4 years since I setup mach3 and I have not read the doc's since then. going from my memory ummm sucks.

the file was from aspire.(thanks for verifying that it was a good run,it proved to me that I can concentrate on my Mach3 setup) and the preview worked great. it just displayed an error  in mach3 and I thought I had screwed up Aspire also.
I was getting the error when I loaded either file , the one from Aspire and Cambam (not the same part but similar)   
I have tuned the steppers, got the right direction, so they moved plus as positive and up and down were correct for the Z. and 1" = 1" in moves in all axis X,Y, and Z.
in Mach3 safe z has been unchecked and a positive Z height has been put in.
all my inputs for homing and limits seem to be working correctly. homing works as expected and when I trip anything it acts just like it supposed to. I probably did input a wrong - or + numerical setting backwards in one of the setup screens and it irritates me that I can't find it. I usually good at catching my mistakes before they drill the table full of holes but this time it's just me missing the obvious. (probably)

I will most likely delete the mach3 directory and re-install while re-reading the mach3 install/setup documents and go through the setup again slowly just to make sure I didn't screw something up while setting up the new(old'ish with printer port) computer. If worst comes to worst  My wife says that she has found a backup of a 2013 version of the XML file and has loaded it on the new machine and it runs the part file. so I can load either profile and find out what I did wrong.
Thanks
so when I gte home tomorrow I'll try and find my goof  so I don't make it again.