Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:11:08 PM

Author Topic: Question about simulation  (Read 5006 times)

Offline JC

•  6 6
    • View Profile
Question about simulation
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »
Sorry if the name of my topic isn't accurate or if this question has been answered a thousand times.  I searched and wasn't able to find what I need for whatever reason.  Probably can't think of the right search terms.    I'm pretty new to the world of CNC and brand new to this forum but quite an experienced computer user.

I have Mach3 and a very simple two axis lathe setup plus a stepper spindle and a motor control relay.  No problem at all with controls, machine running great so this should be easy right?

How can I run or move my program quickly to an exact spot (simulation only) and make it stop there for the purpose of coordinate information?   What I want to do is find the exact position of X at a given spot of Y so I can use that number coordinate as an exact point in tweaking the G code file.   

Of course I know I can use a calculator and math to find my answer but using the DRO would be much easier.  I suspect there is an easy way of doing this but I just don't see it so I thought I would ask.  I have watched the half hour long controls video a couple of times and if the answer is there I missed it.  Rather than watch it again hoping to see what I'm looking for I would like someone to just explain how to do it.  I will probably go "Duh" when I learn how to do this.

Thanks

JC

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Question about simulation
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 01:48:27 PM »
I don't quite understand what you're trying to do??
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »
Same here could you lay your idea out a little clearer  or in more detail.

(;-) TP

Offline JC

•  6 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »
I want mach3 to stop at a given point so I can read the coordinates.

For instance if the current move is G01 x0 y0 and my current position is x1 y17 I would like to get y to stop at an exact spot, say 10 so I can read where x is located at that exact spot of y.  If I run the program it will pass by the location I want to survey no matter how slowly I run it.  Again I know I can calculate this with math but am hoping there is a way for Mach3 to do it for me.  Sorry if I am not clear.  It's to help me modify my code.

JC

Offline JC

•  6 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »
Let me rephrase to make it simpler.  You can stop a program while it's running three different ways.  Is there any way to stop it at an exact predetermined spot using a g code command or mach 3.  I wish to do this in offline mode only.

JC

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 10:57:04 PM »
Not that I am aware of. 

(;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »
You could always video the run and use a player with fast forward, rewind single step and freeze frame to review the live data

Offline JC

•  6 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
You could always video the run and use a player with fast forward, rewind single step and freeze frame to review the live data
That might be worth a try.  Not sure what it will look like at 60 frames per second.  May just be a blur.

At any rate I'm almost relieved to know there isn't a simple well known way to do this.  Make me feel less of an imbecile since I couldn't figure it out.

JC
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »
why not open the gcode in lazy cam and figure out the layer or chain and then start from there when back in mach3?

Offline JC

•  6 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
why not open the gcode in lazy cam and figure out the layer or chain and then start from there when back in mach3?

I think I can accomplish what I want to do pretty easily in Excel but I was hoping to do it right inside of mach3.

I don't know anything about lazy cam but if you say it's worth looking at/learning then I'm all over it.  I see it in the menu but to date have never even clicked on it.

Thank you for pointing me there.

JC