Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:16:45 AM

Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 5675 times)

Need Help
« on: June 04, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »
I am new to this site and CNC.  I have built a plasma table and now I am trying to work out the kinks. I have a 3 axis machine and i am experimenting with a demo program (the heart downloaded from this site). Here is the problem. The motors barely move. I would be thrilled to get 1/20th of a turn out of motors, but they don't even move that much.  Any ideas?
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »
check if you are in inch mode or mm mode. may be all it is.
G21/G20 are the two modes.
Check under Config -> native units on the main menu in Mach3

Wes
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »
thanks, i think it was in mm. i will check
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »
That didn't seem to help.  When I start a G-Code program, and i disconnect the motors, they turn very little.  Once I reconnect the motors, they do not move and get hot.  When disconnected, the ball screws move easily. I am stumped. Would you have a G-Code program that moves say 12" in both X & Y Axis. 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 01:34:59 PM »
markstk57,
I will assume that by being new to CNC you are meaning that you don't know much or anything about CNC and that you are trying to use Mach3 as your controlling software.

You may want to confirm or explain more about the above.

So I will just say that CNC is not "Plug N Play " and you need to read the manuals for Mach, watch the videos, learn the basics, and know something about the controller you are using. IE; You need to configure Mach to use it based on your machine.

Welcome to the learning curve,

BTW, DO NOT plug or unplug the motors with them powered up......if you don't know what your doing you could  end up doing damage!

RICH

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
Thanks Rich.  I know I need to put the hours in to understand Mach 3 and CNC.  I am a newbie and appreciate any responses and advice any of your forum would offer. With regards to pluggin in or unplugging motors with power, I always pull the plug whenever I am connecting or disconnecting anything....learned that from electrical work. LOL

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 02:06:35 PM »
markstk57,

1.Watch all the mach videos.
2.Then read, STUDY is a better word, the Mach manual for the mill.
3.The basics are all the same, but, there are specifics / differences for PLAZMA work.
4.Consider buying "CNC Programing Handbook by Peter Smid" as it a excellent reference.
  The first 100 to 150 pages will provide a vast knowledge base in a short time for you to go forward.
   I highly recomend it.

Have fun in the learning,

RICH
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
are you only getting a humming sound from the motors? And are they locked where you cant turn them at all manually?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »
I think I have got the motors turning although slow.  I am a newbie and my learning curve will be steep. I have to reference how to accelerate the speed of the motors more in tune with plasma cutting.  Any help is welcome.  Thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »
Yeah, I am in the same boat you are in. I couldn't get my machine to jog for some time and found out the OS on my computer was too new. But if you go to ports and pins tab on top left corner, there should be a motor tuning option. click on it and you can make adjustments. You just always have to "save axis settings" before closing the screen, otherwise it will not make the changes.