Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:52:06 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 under win10  (Read 100165 times)

Re: Mach3 under win10
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 06:58:39 PM »
Hi,
yes, the critical point is that Windows 10 needs a motion controller  OTHER than a parallel port.
As you may have seen there are plenty to choose from, including USB and Ethernet, with Ethernet preferred, its faster
and has less latency when coming to Feedhold etc. Do your self a favour and don't buy Chinese, they might be cheap
but thats about all to recommend them.

Would recommend also that you choose from among the models that are Mach 4 ready, you may want to upgrade
and don't want to have to buy a new controller to do so.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Dcj

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
Good information.   I'll look for a motion controller that will work with Mach 4.  Thanks,
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »
I guess it depends on a number of factors.  Mostly it depends on whether or not you want to use a mach3 software or mach4 software or other software. mach related software seems to be industrial oriented as well as the corresponding hardware. There are other alternatives for the hobby users though that is a lot cheaper.  Like the standard arduino with Ramps board attached to it or even the tinyG and smoothie as hardware solutions which allows you to pretty much use any software you wish with the exception being mach3 or 4 software. I know with the arduino and ramps combo and boards like the smoothie board you can use those for ANY CNC style operation from 3d printers to laser cutting and engraving as well as wood routing.
I'd say if you are going for industrial strength and a full time business and you have the money stick with mach software and supported hardware.  Otherwise if you want flexibility to use your cnc for whatever and if you want simplicity then explore the other widely supported open source solutions I mentioned a few of. Probably the most common is the Arduino Ramps combination.  Literally both can be had for around 60 bucks or less and a good amount of the software is free and widely supported.  If you do decide to go this route I would suggest getting the Arduino Ramps combination already set up for the type of CNC you plan to do.  Find a supplier that can load it with a config file or firmware for your configuration. In other words if you have a dual stepper motors for y or z axis and or one for an extruder if you want to do 3d printing.  Good luck with your project.

I'm new to this forum.  I'm building a cnc router and just investigating now.  Just want to be sure about something.  Am I correct that I should be able to use a windows 10 desktop with the usb port to a motion controller feeding the parallel port on the breakout board for the motors.  Thanks.  Great stuff here!
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
Hi,
if cost is the prime determinant then Linux CNC, its free. Uses industry standard Gcode, within the exception that there is no standard as such but close.
Software is all open source. If you want to fiddle with Linux...

Craig
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Fiddling with Linuxs is a pain and something most people have no time for.  In the world of CNC 3d printing, MatterControl is free. So is Cura and a slew of others.  You do not have to fiddle with Linux for low cost solutions. Each of the various branches of CNC have free or close to free software solutions.  Typically dedicated software you pay for will be more functional but it doesn't even guarantee better support. The most common open source solutions often have a huge support community.  My suggestion is for anyone new to CNC to play around with the free solutions until they become skilled enough to understand how everything works and what features they need and or want.  Then explore some paid for solutions to see if they might get more. That is what I did with 3dprinting. I started with MatterControl and played with Cura and Slic3er. Then I got Simplify3D since it really combines the best of the free solutions. 

Hi,
if cost is the prime determinant then Linux CNC, its free. Uses industry standard Gcode, within the exception that there is no standard as such but close.
Software is all open source. If you want to fiddle with Linux...

Craig
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 06:26:27 PM »
Hi,
agreed Linux is daunting for most, ergo Window based software of which Mach is among the most capable and cheap.

There are a number of features that good CNC software/controllers are capable which are not available with controllers
for 3D printers. Backlash compensation,Torch Height Control, probing and for certain controllers high bandwidth closed
loop servo control, multiple encoder input, CCW/CW and quadature outputs, Modbus and/or serial plugins....this is
not an exhaustive list, just among the ones I know.

Craig
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
Controllers/software for 3d printers are CNC. Obviously a 3d printer is not going to need torch height control is it? Hehehe. I mean after all it is a printer and not a plasma torch. But then how many plasma torches have extrusion width control or thickness control? Your assertion is completely apples and oranges. Much of the software out there can be found that support those features. I must point out that many of those features are production level features. A hobbyist would not need.

Hi,
agreed Linux is daunting for most, ergo Window based software of which Mach is among the most capable and cheap.

There are a number of features that good CNC software/controllers are capable which are not available with controllers
for 3D printers. Backlash compensation,Torch Height Control, probing and for certain controllers high bandwidth closed
loop servo control, multiple encoder input, CCW/CW and quadature outputs, Modbus and/or serial plugins....this is
not an exhaustive list, just among the ones I know.

Craig

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »
My suggestion is for anyone new to CNC to play around with the free solutions until they become skilled enough to understand how everything works and what features they need and or want.  Then explore some paid for solutions to see if they might get more. That is what I did with 3dprinting.

3D printing is a very different animal from milling or routing. Imo, the free CNC solutions are really lacking a lot of features that even the inexpensive paid controls now have. In addition, paid controls usually offer a considerable ability to customize the control to allow the users to add even more functionality.

Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
Hi,
I must point out that many of those features are production level features. A hobbyist would not need.
Bull*********, the reason I know these things are because I use them....

Craig

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »
There are also many instance where hobbyists use features that are never needed for production work.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html