Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:19:39 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 / Darwin setup  (Read 20189 times)

Re: Mach4 / Darwin setup
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 11:23:35 AM »
Yeah, but it works with Mach3.  That's the kicker with so many of my first ideas as to what might be wrong.

I'm really leaning towards a configuration problem, It can't be hardware.

Peter
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »
OK,

I'm confident in the port settings
I'm confident in the Motor pins and ports
The Input screen has only E-stop and it seems to work.

Homing settings on the motors pages is a question.
Home inputs are a question, as well as any other inputs
No Outputs are set....... should any be?

I have nothing set on any of the other tabs in Darwin.

I don't recall anything in the video about those tabs except if you need them.

In fact the video says I should have movement after the first motor is setup...

Thankyou  for hanging with me.  I saw a post that Art had retired, and he has not responded to my post on his thread.  So other than hit and miss I don't know what else to do.

BAR
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
I'm not saying it's a hardware problem... I'm saying that maybe in Mach3 there is a port/pin setting to enable the stepper drivers  and maybe even one for each driver. it would be an output and would work as a e-stop kinda for the axises. without the use of that enable pin on the stepper drivers.... say if you hardwired them to be on all the time. then even in e-stop your motors could possibly take off on you.... it's a safety thing.
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 02:00:26 PM »
There is nothing in the 6020 set up documentation about enables.  And he does get some motion with Mach4.

I'm getting so intrigued by this I wonder how much a plane ticket would be to where he is.   ;D

Maybe Skype would be more realistic.

Peter
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
yeah but he said he got motors to turn when he put the charge pump on some pins.... I don't really know I just assumed that all stepper drivers had an enable/disable pin for a safety feature but I haven't seen that many... BAR if you still have your setup for Mach3 might be worth a shot to look at all the outputs and see if there is any for the pins you tested and got a motor to run.

Dave
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2015, 09:46:43 PM »
I just reloaded mach 3 to check that very thing, since I have determined M3 was not interfering with 4.
So I think we can assume hardware is plugged and setup correctly, M3 works with keyboard and mouse jogging.
I think it is some switch that M3 sets to a default and M4 needs some input.

I am going to start a fresh profile so if I set something in error or it is corrupt.

I live in the Denver metro area,, and have spare room, adult beverages and 3 mills, 4 lathes a 3 d printer, and a non working router for you to play with.
I may ship it to you in a week for 2cents.  I thought i was doing well learning how to make chips, electronics is a whole different animal............ I dread the next project which is building a control box with a smooth stepper to use M4 to get CNC on the mills..

Oh well the weekend is here, lots of time to pull my hair out!

attached are the settings files, if you see anything interesting,
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »
bar553,

Pulling hair out has not worked for me.  I'm pretty much out of ammunition but have many problems left to solve.

Looking at the ini file, it seems that you have enabled port 2 and it has the same port address as port 1.  From looking at the documentation, you should not unable port two.

May not be the problem but...

Peter
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2015, 10:20:31 PM »
thanks I missed that, the problem is something simple like that i'm sure.  Starting fresh profile so maybe help, I need to take notes on all i have learned to check, delete, reset etc.......
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2015, 10:22:37 PM »
Also, you have assigned port 2, pin 1 as the estop.  Change that to port 1.

I'm still looking.
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »
You have assigned port1 pin 2 as the charge pump output with a frequency of zero.  If you don't use a charge pump, and I don't think you d' looking at the documentation, disable the output.

The documentation shows the x s xis should be assigned as step pin 2, direction pin 3.  All motors should have an x for the direction negate and a check fr the step negate.

Still looking.