Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:07:23 PM

Author Topic: The 64bit decision...I'd like to hear your opinion  (Read 12532 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: The 64bit decision...I'd like to hear your opinion
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 06:58:52 AM »
Please Stirling,
If you have the knowledge and insight then explain to me a problem that nobody has been able to answer. If a program is running and the THC up or down command is given Mach3 will not move Z. Sometimes if I pause the program then resume it will work the rest of the code. 9 out of 10 times tho it doesn't work to the point where I don't even expect it to! I would love to have somebody tell me what is wrong! Thanks, Brian

The thing is that you appear from your earlier posts to be using a Proma and an ESS. Therefore Z movement has absolutely nothing to do with Mach. Simply put, the Proma should be sending the appropriate Up/Down commands to the ESS and the ESS should be sending out the appropriate pulses to the drivers. The only connection with Mach is that the ESS should just be telling Mach where it is every "now and then" so that Mach can update the DROs etc.

So just to be clear. Any erratic behavior you're experiencing is down to either the Proma or/and the ESS. Not Mach.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:16:26 AM by stirling »

Offline BLM

•  37 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 07:31:02 AM »
Sorry, it was not my intention to divert the thread! I was just just trying to gain some help from someone who claims to have the answers. BTW I have started the subject before and gained little help! Thanks for any input! I will be on my way!

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
Brian - I think you may have missed my answer.

Offline BLM

•  37 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 08:19:21 AM »
Stirling, I'm sorry I came across as downplaying your advice! I see through your answer. It just frustrates me when I have a THC that is commanding movement and it gets blamed for the non movement problem because it was cheap! BTW I am not going to promote this THC, and have intentions to upgrade as time allows. I do not have a vendetta against you, just my problem in general! Peace! Brian

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »
Hi Brian - I think some weird communication by text thing must have happened.

IMO You've asked a perfectly reasonable question. I'm not aware of anything I've said that could have caused an issue but if I've done so inadvertently I apologize.

It wasn't my intention either to criticize the Proma or the ESS - actually I can't see where I have but just to be clear, I wouldn't do because I've never used either.

I've just tried to explain that it's just a matter of fact that when using ANY external motion controller, Mach has no involvement in controlling the Z axis in response to ANY THC. The only situation where Mach could be a candidate for "blame" is if you're using the PP driver.

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »
So getting back to my original query....the 64bit decision...I thought I would give you an update as to what I have done and how it is working out.

Based on advice here, I went with keeping my machine (64bit Win7 Pro) and adding an Ethernet Smooth Stepper (ESS) board.  I paired that to a C10 board figuring I could add more later.

Although this was not the cheapest direction, it did seem to me to have the most long term use.

• I could use it on any computer.
  • I didn't need a separate video card.
  • It produced better motion control (so I hear).
  • It had all the expandability I needed.
  • The documentation and community support was there as needed.

I mounted the ESS inside the computer chassis with the light and ethernet plug out the back.  I moved the DB25 plugs to the two blank expansion locations.  The computer had an unused molex connector so I stole the 5v and Ground from it to power the board.
With this setup, I can take the entire controller from machine to machine (future proofing) and all that is committed to the machine is the break out board (BOB).

I followed the directions from Soigeneris (where the ESS was purchased from) for system setup.  I had a Mach3 profile started with only the X axis configured.  I wired up a single axis and hit the shuttle button.....Bam!  Perfect.

It was extremely easy and straight forward.  With this milestone achieved, the rest of the build is just going through the motions (ha!).  I have a design drawn out and all the components in house.  I'm heading to the shop now to build out the controll box.  It is too cold to start working metal today.

If you want to share in my excitement....here is a short video I made for my cousin who is keeping track of my progress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaKHA0oVIH0&list=UUYG7bdfSLBOwKxFfchex0Dw

Thanks for everyone's input...even the discussion on THC's.  Part of my build includes a table for Plasma.

Preston.