Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:03:12 PM

Author Topic: Spindle turns on and makes noise but it doesn't spin  (Read 8263 times)

Spindle turns on and makes noise but it doesn't spin
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »
Hey. I've recently bought a Carving-CNC x6 1500 cnc machine.

It comes with a 1.5kw spindle.

I'm done with the assembly and setup and everything works fine except for the spindle.

It turns on fine and the motor starts making a noise, but the spindle never rotates. It just stays there making the whining noise.

Any suggestion? Thanks!
Re: Spindle turns on and makes noise but it doesn't spin
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
1) The VFD parameters have to be set up for the motor. 2) The motor is 3 phase it could be missing a phase or miswired at the motor connector.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

How hard it is to check the VFD parameters? As far as I know they came pre configured and I have no idea how to mess with that.

Guess I'll have a chat with the seller.

Thanks once again.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »
I just checked the website. They sell complete packages and assume the drive should be should be setup and the motor tested. 3 phase motor will hum and not turn if missing a phase. The drive should fault out on over current too. Any error codes showing up on the drive display?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »
I just checked the website. They sell complete packages and assume the drive should be should be setup and the motor tested. 3 phase motor will hum and not turn if missing a phase. The drive should fault out on over current too. Any error codes showing up on the drive display?

Hey. Nope. I turn the spindle on in Mach3, set the Hz on the display using the knob and the motor just stays making noise. The display stays showing the hz and no codes.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »
I made a video to show whats happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsK72Wm4XSg

The light under "Trip" starts flickering when the RPM is above ~6000. When below that number, its off.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
assuming it spins freely, i'd think that the Base and Max frequency is set wrong, had to set mine to 300hz as the default was 50 on VFD
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:30:01 PM »
assuming it spins freely, i'd think that the Base and Max frequency is set wrong, had to set mine to 300hz as the default was 50 on VFD

The problem is that is not spinning at all. The motor is making noise but the no spin happens. I've checked the VFD settings and they seem to be at 400.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
Just watched the video. A flickering "Trip" light is not a good sign. When the drive on and set for 400hz can you turn the motor shaft? Is the motor locked or does it spin freely? I would check all the motor connections. A remote possibility is the drive output section is bad. The only way to tell is use a voltmeter and measure the drive output between T1,T2 and T3. Then ohm the motor for an open phase winding. If it's new I would contact the seller.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:38:08 PM by geh7552 »
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
Based on that id say the connections are not connected correctly, if you could get it to run, by spinning it after applying power then it was the freq settings but I would think if it wont spin with a little help its a wiring issue.