Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:20:34 PM

Author Topic: suitability of notebook  (Read 17562 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: suitability of notebook
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 11:45:20 AM »
Hey John,
    The locked down version would be better as far as the graphics being easier on your PC. I would try the latest version to start with. 2.00.061 at present. If it is more than your PC likes, you could back down to the locked down version.

Brett

BTW, I had to quite messing with beer, every time I tried it, it made me drunk. ;)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
  • Leg of Iron, eye of bronze
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 12:22:08 PM »
Hi Brett,
Thanks for the advice so I'll try the latest version first but if it fails do I have to uninstall the previous version first?
My beer engines dispense 1/4 pint (Imp) per pull and a half pint at a time is enough for me but the home brew is about the same strength as a lot of table wines so perhaps that is why.
Thanks again.
John.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »
Hey John,
    I don't know for certain if it will write over the previously installed version or not but I always uninstall then install the one I want. Be sure to back up your XML file and screen set if it is not the standard. I keep a MachC folder on my desktop. In it you will find my XML files, screen sets, licenses files. I keep these up to date so if something did go wrong with a download, I'd have it all handy and backed up. Nothing has went wrong on a download yet, but just to be safe.

Brett

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 12:35:41 PM »
I forgot, I also named my XML My Mach3 Mill. XML. I also renamed the shortcut icon on my desktop and pointed it to My Mach3 Mill. XML. Now when I down load the latest, my icon stays the same and in the same place. Since I have my own personal xml, (not a default one Mach gives) it doesn't try to overwrite it.

Brett

Hood

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 04:35:03 PM »
I have always gone back and forth between versions when I have been trying to help out with problems other forum members may have with a certain version. I have never unistalled first, I always just install over the top of whatever version and so far have not had a problem.
Hood

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 05:48:42 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just got the latest version installed and so far it looks OK. Screens change happily so it seems the 32 MB setting will be OK. I did run the motor test and saw what to me look like occasional big spikes ranging from about 25% to 75% of the little screen height. My control system is not as sensitive as most with motors single stepping at about 400/sec max for a resolution of 200 steps per mm so this evenings question is. Will these spikes cause me untold problems,  or will it be OK to stay as it is?
At the moment though the really big problem is that I have just eaten the last of the jelly beans.
John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »
LOL, John, first things first, get more jelly beans. I don't know if the spike you are seeing will effect you or not but I would prefer it not have it. Is this a dedicated PC? If so, have you ran the Optomisation File found in the downloads section?

Brett

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 06:09:06 PM »
No such luxury as dedication,
Although not normally for general use there are occassions when it is used for domestic purposes so has a variety of domestic software installed. As I said my system is very slow but for me that is no problem and I can live with 100 mm travel per minute since the travel is only 220 by 150 by 75 mm (X,Y,Z that is) so perhaps spikes will not be too much of a problem but I'll have to wait and see after I have sorted out the pin connections which no doubt are different to what Mach 3 expects.
John

Offline Gandalf

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 03:15:01 PM »
Hi again guys,
I'm at that important time in life when I'm about to connect up for a test run. I do not expect miracles but want at first to simply try jogging around and up and down so now it is advice time.I printed out the Mach 3 tutorial so as to have pictures to compare and am now looking at the pin connections which comparing the tutorial with what I have at present are slightly different, at this stage it does not matter if motors run in reverse or otherwise since I only want to move things around.
OK I have X dir as pin 4 and step as pin 5. Y is 6 and 7 with Z as 8 and 9. These of course seem to be displaced from those shown in the tutorial so to save me changing the wiring can I simply alter the numbers in the motor outputs tab? I can of course add two more wires to the connector and move the other ends around to suit the new scheme. I have a separate board for each motor which just responds to step and direction signals so can play around with connections if needed but it would be far easier if I can change the pin numbers to suit what I have got at present.
John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
Hey John,
    I think you should be OK with those pin numbers, just change the numbers in the motors tab. Also, look at the bottom of the out put signals tab, a little info. there.

Brett